Search the forum,

Discuss Sink Trap leak and slow drainage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeeV

Hi all

I dismantled the kitchen sink plumbing and cleaned the pipes to improve the slow drainage. However, after I connected the pipes back together and ran the tap for say 20 secs water started to leak from the top of the sink trap connections as circled in the photo.

View attachment 24131

I've added ptfe tape to both connections but the top right connection is still leaking at the same rate as before. I did look into buying a complete new sink trap but I need a push fit type which apparently is not as common to get hold of. Therefore is it a case of adding more ptfe tape until leak stops?

With regards to the slow drainage, the cleaning of the pipes has not improved the situation. I also used a rod to ensure there were no blockages in the drainaway pipe behind sink unit. If I run the tap for a while the sink starts to fill up and can then take a few minutes to completely drain away. Does this suggest there is a blockage further down the line or has the dismantling of the pipes somehow caused back siphonage?

Any advice will be gratefully received. :stooge_curly:

Thanks

Unable to open your pics but if the trap is leaking then it has to be a washer or an 'O' ring seal. As for your blockage try using a drain cleaner I would recommend "One shot" from B&q just read instructions regarding push fit waste.
Also Hi & welcome. If you register with the forum you'll get a lot more advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sink Trap leak and slow drainage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
I had a potential leak in the island kitchen drain, but it's no longer an issue after using an auger through the clean-out pipe. The water seemed to be coming out from the base of the pipe. I've removed a section of drywall for inspection purposes. After filling both sinks with water and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a few issues with my bath drainage and leaking. The first issue is that the near corner of the bath by the taps is sloped downwards meaning that it pools in the corner and quickly starts leaking through gaps in the shower screen onto the floor rather than into the bath. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink appears to be consistently dry. The problem I have is that there appears to be a leak where the waste pipe out from the bottle trap meets the wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock