Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting baby belfast sink on brackets, what screws & general advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I've got an old baby belfast sink I want to use and I'd like to mount it on old brackets... I've done a mock installation in another part of the house just to see how secure it feels on the brackets and I'm happy with the result. If I put a lot of downward wait on the front lip of the sink, it doesn't budge at all. And that's using the only cr@p screws I could find in the house which were vaguely fit for purpose!

So when the time comes to fit it properly...

1. What screws would you recommend I use? Or is it simply the thicker and longer the better?

2. Is there any kind of adhesive or similar I could put between the bracket lugs and the underside of the sink? Because the sink bottom isn't totally flat, there are gaps. I thought some kind of adhesive would help fill these gaps for a better connection, whilst also giving belts and braces stability.

More generally, has anyone ever fitted similar and is there any reason I should be thinking twice about doing this?

Cheers

IMG_20211111_170759110.jpg

IMG_20211111_170836406.jpg

Onto brick or plasterboard?

21/2 or 3” 10s should be fine on a brown plug on a solid plastered wall

Thanks @ShaunCorbs

Anyone got any thoughts on some kind of adhesive, putty or similar to put on the brackets where they connect to the sink?

Also, a plumber suggested was using sealant (something like CT1) between the side wall of the sink and the wall it will be pressed up against. Not sure how I feel about that idea though to be honest. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Tbh normal silicon will be strong enough

Do you mean between the whole face of the side of the sink and the wall? I think that's what he had in mind, to give a firmer fit, not just a bead of adhesive/silicone to stop water getting in behind.

Cheers

Brackets to the sink to stop any wobble

Hi again

Before we make our final decision... With decent screws and rawl plugs of the correct size and length as detailed above, do you think these brackets would be man enough and safe for such a heavy sink? We will be using it for utility room type things, cleaning veg, etc. And I can only imagine the pain if that were to collapse onto my foot! So I want to be confident it will be secure.

If we have to we'll revert to plan B which is the cast iron bearers and legs. But we already have these, and we like them, so they will remain plan A if we feel confident they are strong enough. If gluing to the wall or anything else will help make them as strong as possible, then I'm all ears.

Many thanks

Reply to Fitting baby belfast sink on brackets, what screws & general advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock