Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Fitting a Keston twin flue condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobo128

Gas Engineer
Hi has anyone dealt the Keston combi 30 (twin flue system).
I went to see a job earlier and there is already a Keston system boiler in with this strange twin flue system in.(Which by the way is made out of 50mm solvent weld waste pipe. The propery is a 30-40 unit block of apartments. In the cupboard there is a system boiler with cylinder that is on it's way out, well it wont light and the cylinder immersion is leaking. Anyway, the fellow wants it replacing with a condensing combi. As I have no way of routing the flue with it being an apartment block my only option was to try and find a boiler that can be used with this type of flue system. Turns out after abit of research that Kestons weird flue system is very unique to them. They literally use solvent weld pipe and can send the flue to about 27meters ( if I hadn't have researched this I would have probably ID it.
Anyway it's almost like they made this boiler for this property, its perfect for this situation.

Has anyone dealt with these boilers, are there any other similar boilers out there ( I know there are twin flue boilers about but the fact you can use 50mm solvent weld is perfect rather than 100mm expensive twin flue that you have to buy from the boiler company.

Thanks in advance

Tom

The new keston domestics are ideal logic + boilers with the keston flueing system :)

ideal bought out keston a while ago

im on all of they training courses over the next few monthes (for free too)

if you install one you only get 2 years warrenty, but get intouch of your local rep and beat them about extended warrenty and they will sell you an extra 3 years for 99 inc vat.
bringing it up to 5

i think you have to change the terminal fittings though!!!

you would have to ring up technical about it.

oh you have to use mupvc pipe and fittings with it for the solvent flue

Last edited:
Ok cool. How did you manage to land the free training?

im a tough customer :D
i had a viessmann engineer fired during my apprentiship
he was a tit, had made prior mistakes and then proceeded to give me a dressing down infrount of the regional manager.
quite a shame that he got it totally wrong, the manager looked like he wanted to hop in a coffin.
after i corrected him in detail the manager sent him back to the company car.
He's on for another manufacturer now.

But keston training!
after being passed from one member of staff to the next till i got put through to darren finley who now runs all of kestons for ideal.
no one could answer my questions well enough apart from the director himself!!
So he offered me whatever training i wanted from kestons for free.

he used to run vailliants commercial division till ideal head hunted him.

Also how i know that you're able to get the extended warrenty, thats hush hush :) you wont see it on any of kestons literature.

He may be small but he's got a big brain and courage to match ;)

Do the logic course, more of them running and it's pretty much same boiler. Flue slightly different but same principle. And yes whole flue system must be changed.

Do the logic course, more of them running and it's pretty much same boiler. Flue slightly different but same principle. And yes whole flue system must be changed.

Not whole flue, just terminal connections?!?!

Not best practice or advisable to use an existing flue? You can't see how well the joints were made how free of burrs the flue is, how well it's clipped or any damage through fabric. Would expect better from u!

Keston flues were and are notoriously poorly fitted as "it's only a bit if 50mm solvent "

Not best practice or advisable to use an existing flue? You can't see how well the joints were made how free of burrs the flue is, how well it's clipped or any damage through fabric. Would expect better from u!

Kestons is a touch different though isn't it.

providing you have your inspection hatches to check flue joints and for POCS then that is fine.
i can't see the justification in butchering an awkward flue out to replace without the need.

Do you bust up a concrete floor if the gas is run in it to check for corrosion, sizing.
or expose the entire run to check for hidden compressions?

where do you stop and start.

And yes whole flue system must be changed.

it might be best practice but it isn't always an option is it.
don't go giving it has all has to be replaced as gospel if its an opinion..

Would be just aswell in that case to fit something else if it was that case.

Sure that re using a flue isn't permitted unless you can confirm integrity condition and installation. I wouldn't ever re use a flue not even a flue liner.

Pretty sure keston ask you to replace flue also. Will check mi

Sure that re using a flue isn't permitted unless you can confirm integrity condition and installation. I wouldn't ever re use a flue not even a flue liner.

Pretty sure keston ask you to replace flue also. Will check mi

I stand corrected they now ask for everything to be replaced.
it cant be checked now.

sorry ermi you were right!

even if the boilers a month old and its being replaced the flue has to be re done!
thats mad

Fitted a few of the kestons when i was an apprentice, we fitted the boilers in the same sort of buildings because for the flue distances, don't remember us ever having many problems with them. Although i do vaguely remember there being rubber collars within the boiler on the flue side of it that perished and had to be changed often… think I'm on about the right boiler anyway.

Killy bing is correct it is mupvc pipe for the flues

Ahh thanks Ermintrude.. thats how long it is since worked on these then. Presume they got changed then for what i mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a Keston twin flue condensing boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an 20yrs heat only potterton 50e boiler with 196x old house - suspended floor - designer radiators, open vent system and hot water...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant...
Replies
Views
I have an Ideal Vogue C40 Gen 2 40kw combi boiler hooked up to a 10 radiator CH system. Recently I have balanced the rads and now have a feed temp...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock