Search the forum,

Discuss External Waste Pipes (not soil) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having bought a house last year I now find myself off the electricians forum and on the plumbers forum as I move onto the bathroom!I need to run some waste pipes externally along a south facing wall. I will be using 50mm solvent weld and am hoping to achieve UV resistance without needing to paint the pipe.From my research, the 2 materiels used in solvent weld pipes appear to be ABS, which has no UV resistance, and PVC (cPVC, MUPVC) which does have UV resistance. Floplast is ABS, Polypipe does both ABS and MUPVC, Hunter is PVC but expensive and I was not impressed with their gutters. The local merchants only seem to stock ABS solvent weld. What product/manufacturer should I be looking to for external wastepipes and is there a national chain that stocks them. (I am near Portsmouth)

In 30 years not found any waste pipe that does not fade on a south facing wall.

Hi Sail&Fish, and welcome to the forum.

Traditionally, the south hants area is entirely ABS. You will find Polypipe MuPVC stockists in Bournmouth, or northwards - as you approach the outskirts of London. Except us. We stock it, but we don't sell retail.

Either get your plumber to come to Williams in Fareham, or if you are doing it yourself, go to Portsmouth Plumbing Supplies in Farlington and ask for Polypipe MUPVC. When they say "we don't stock it" say "yes I know, but you can get it from Williams in Fareham". ;)

Hi Sail&Fish

Correction - sorry, it just shows that I shouldn't go from memory. Our Fareham place no longer stocks the Polypipe MuPVC, but can draw it from Guildford or Croydon at 24hrs notice. So all the above still applies, just add 24hrs to the timeline.

not so much worried about it fading (it will be black) but going brittle due to sun exposure

To be honest, you are probably over thinking this.

If I was plumbing a new house, there would be about 19 million things on my list of things to worry about before I got to "whether to use ABS or MuPVC waste?"

Thanks Ray, I have worried about several of those 19 million but probably have more to go. I like to do things right first time and suppose my concern is that the shower waste will be under the floor and a bugger to fix if the exposed external bend goes brittle.

The local buildbase does Hunter and I will visit the plumbase to see what they say about the UV stability of ABS.

by the time it goes brittle youll have moved on and as long as you dont bang it it isnt an issue. If you renovating your house properly, all pipework should be run internally anyhow, and any works planned for to allow that.

You do appear to be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. Plumbers do not spend their lives replacing waste pipe that has gone brittle. I've had a couple snap (In 15 years) when I have tried cutting into them years later due to going brittle but one was under a kitchen sink.

Black is a good choice. Don't use grey or brown, they fade more and unevenly. White outside looks tacky.

thanks folks for your help. Polypipe have confirmed that it is PVC I should use and have said that I can order it in Covers. That said I am only worried about the pipe exiting the wall and the first foot or so degrading the rest would be easy to replace, if it ever needs it. I can split a piece of pipe and put it over the top to protect that from the sun.

I am now happy that I can move forward.

I will probably be back but am finding that the search facility is answering most questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External Waste Pipes (not soil) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock