Discuss Ex Military - Seeking new career and advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bobby5156

HI all,

I am currently coming to the end of my 22 years in the Royal Engineers and i am very interested in retraining as a plumber/gass fitter. I am looking at the possiblity of attending the 6129/Lvl 2 cse in plumbing and ACS gas course with RF Training in Birmingham.

I am very aware that a fast track course will teach me basics and allow me to work in the field, but will mean I am lacking experience. I have a few queries:

1. Has anybody succeeded in their own business after completing these fast track courses?
2. Any ex service personnel got tips on how they qualified?
3. Does anyone have positive/negative points about RF Training in general?

I would be very grateful for comments/feedback from anyone who can help, I know this is something i want to do but unsure best way to achieve a second career for me and the family

Many thanks (in advance)

Bobby

Do your research Bobby, and read some of the other posts on here, in fact, spend at least an hour or so doing this.

You seem well equiped to enter this field, and would probably be able to transfer skills easily - however, your entering a field that is quickly slumping to a minimum wage sector. This is due to oversupply, over-investment of newly self employed to make a return, and dubious reports of skill-shortages.

congrats on doing 22 years.

Good luck with your plumbing also.

Best regards

Rocket
Ex RN!!

Hi Bobby

Good luck mate.

Did 22 years in the REME, have my own Building Business with 4 guys working for me, came out 3 years ago, had experience in electrical and i did C & J when on leave for a few years.
Its not about the media hype of earning ÂŁlots of dosh but you can make a living, its hard work but i enjoy it, to get your ACS you need to work with a GSI and get a portfolio, harder then it seems, not many people want to take you on due to time/money constraints.
I beleive the likes of RF/Gastec/met etc guarantee you a work placement, could be ok but it takes time to gain experience in the fields but you will only gain this with time.
Don't expect overnight success but I think you will do alright as you have a lot of the skills required to make it mate.
If you need any more info drop me a line.

Ian

Thanks for the replies all,

Ian I am looking at RF Training ideally to do the plumbing this year (8 weeks), practical gas (4 weeks) next year before out date, then intend to work as a plumber (self employed if i need to) doing the gas portfolio in and around that on jobs with RF Trg.

It is such a weird feeling I am really excited and want to get going but also really anxious about the change, I know its the best thing though, 22 yrs is enough lol I have enjoyed it but need to think about me and family for a bit, mothers getting old etc, kids growing up etc

I do understand i need to keep small and work within my abilities at first, but I know its a trade with dedication I can retrade well in and i know i am not going to be an expert lol but already the guys n gals on this forum fill me with the confidence that someone will help if you ask.

Eco Armyash has been in touch thanks.

Bobby

Hi Bobby

yes the course are sometimes the only way into the market,

You will love civvy life, i did my 22, but needed time with my missus, loved the army and still support it in various ways.

All you need to remeber its not stupidity to ask a question if you do not know something, we can't and don't know everything lol,

If you need anything or have any q's just fire away pal, good luck
Ian

Heya Mate,

I did a fast track into gas. been out 4 years. you have got to love the job and have a real interest which helps to do the job diligently.
After i started with an M&E company i enrolled myself on a nightclass to complete my nvq 2&3 in plumbing and heating. The company put me through my commercial gas tickets and i have'nt looked back. currently looking to use my ELCAS to complete my HNC in building services engineering. My mate did the fast track into plumbing level 2 when he left but no luck, as soon as he did his gas, work straight away!
Its defo harder to get employment now but if your persistent you will suceed. My advice would be to gain your experience with a company first. Its a job that you could get into bother with should you not approach it armed to the teeth with knowledge.

Dave, Ex Infantry

Dave, Thanks for the reply it makes a lot of sense, I am fighting the battle with the chain of command at the moment to get time off to attend the plumbing course, you would think after 22 yrs they would be a little sympathetic. I am really up fot this type of work and cant wait, wish I could fast forward lol.

How long did you do int he forces, who with? Hope to chat more as I progress buddy

Bobby

hi bobby,
thanks for the advice,as you can see a bit of a novice in this fieldhope you get your rf training let me know how you do buddy,did think of going in that direction but money constraints put a hold on it,at the moment i have a library of books on plumbing ,laws diameters of pipe,direct & indirect systems,heating etc its a minefield of knowledge to take in,i am hoping it will all fall in place if i get to chaperone a good heating,plumbing engineer but it's proving to be a nightmare.

good luck & cheers
pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ex Military - Seeking new career and advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
So err Hi 👋. Names Dave and I’m a banker (yeah feel free to mock). Always felt in the wrong type of career. Looking to change and gas career...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
I currently work in an office job on mid 20's salary and hate being chained to the desk. Looking for a career change to become a gas and heating...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock