Search the forum,

Discuss Possible Career? Advice welcomed in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So err Hi 👋.

Names Dave and I’m a banker (yeah feel free to mock). Always felt in the wrong type of career. Looking to change and gas career looks fairly well paid, of course pending experience and skills.

There are a million companies offering courses fast track etc. but if I can cope with a few months unpaid are there any proper companies out there rather than shitty agencies that’d take you on while you’re training and possibly contribute towards your trading. Understandably possibly at the cost of me repaying the training fees?

Just putting the feelers out for recommendations or advice..

Cheers in advance

Dave the Wan- sorry Banker

Search the topic on here mate. I’m afraid it doesn’t make for pretty reading. Perfect world you need college not a six week course. Learn plumbing before you contemplate gas. You may get lucky and find someone to take you on on apprentice type basis but if you have financial commitments mortgage family etc then it’ll be tough as the pay isn’t great. Do not believe the ads out there saying that gas engineers earn a fortune. It’s an over saturated market with very very varied skill levels. If you’re prepared to put in the work it can work but….

I'm working pretty solid, did a 3 month course 1 year ago, got out with a plumber. I say go for it mate. I am 100% confident with servicing boilers now and about to do a Baxi fault finding course, still a little wary about repairs but getting there, it isn't rocket science.

My advice is to have someone in the field you can shadow for a while and a few numbers in the phone you can call on when stuck or for who you can pass work to when you feel you are unable to do the job. Also, all boiler manufacturers have technical help lines. Don't worry, do what you are comfortable with. A great bit of advice I was told is decide what you want, i.e, gas service engineer or repair engineer or installer? I am focussing on service and repair engineer and have had SOLID work since qualifying. ZERO complaints and no messups and I am 100% down with Gas Safe 26.9. I will start installations when I have done a good lot with the guy I get to go out with (luck is a big part of getting a break, I am a long time friend with a plumber of 30+ years).

Do it, you really do not need to do 3 years apprentice or any of that, think of gas engineers as a section of "plumbing", a focussed trade, software has similar roles. As I said, call around firms, do you know anyone? Ask if you can (for free) get out and watch and learn on the job, or go work for a firm for a bit.

Don't undervalue your profession! Just charge accordingly, be cool with customers and have great after-care customer service. It is working out for me and the pay is great, unlike what Riley said (no offence Riley ;-) haha - I was also told the same thing), not to down play what Riley is saying but I find way too many negative comments about starting out. If you don't, ask yourself this, what will you do, remain working in a job you hate? We have to take the occasional risk in life. I was a software engineer for many years and I am 46 now and a software career is probably a lot more saturated than gas engieering. Get your niche, be emaculate at your job and learn everything you can about it.

I was told the same stuff (all that negative stuff like Riley said above) and just ignored it, sure I acknowledged I will hit bumps but nothing like I haven't experienced when climbing the software engineering ladder. Best decision I've ever made. Go for it and good luck. Out of every 20 you will probably meet 1 person who will tell you what I did, that is; GO FOR IT, it is a very rewarding and satissfying job!

Last edited:
Not to disrespect what you said above but he said about someone taking him on after and potentially during his training and to be honest the fast track course will normally only lead to self employment. Sometimes as above you’re lucky enough to know someone in the industry but mostly companies want experience and an NVQ qualification route. I didn’t say it can’t be done but with other commitments mortgage family etc it can be a step too far. Also I maintain you need plumbing knowledge before The gas route is sensibly practicable.

Yes mate, I did many "free" days with this fella and I will be straight, he didn't spend money on me! I can fit TRV's, change a tap, bend pipes, fit a T and install a remote expansion vessel, just very basic plumbing work but it helps the fella out by freeing him up and also gets me a bit of cash outside of the gas engineering. Any oil or plumbing work I get I just pass to him and when he's extremely busy I get most of his gas work. And you do the usual by sharing yourself with the world to get yourself known.

I am not saying it was easy, far from it.

Reply to Possible Career? Advice welcomed in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock