Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss eramic disc valves - a thought. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Whoops, *ceramic

Since most - even decent/expensive - taps are now made such that they will need some sort of servicing within 5-8 years (if you're lucky) and the washered type will often fail to take the new washer even after attempting reseating because the seating is poor quality and pits too much...

If you only chose ceramic disc taps that you could get spares for (not just the valves but the correct o/ring for the spout) and - when it came time to change the disc you put a tiny smidge of lsx on the bottom of the new disc, tightened it up and let it set for 10 mins, wouldn't this take care of any pitting left by a poor quality seat that re-seating couldn't sort and thereby give you a tap that you could basically guarantee should last a decade at least?

The idea being with ceramic discs taps the seating isn't constantly being tested by a washer rising and falling on top if it and only needs to be joined to once

Last edited:
Another idea: It's Got To Be Done Plumbing And Heating for a company name.
Since it's what people most often say when accepting a price they find expensive.

Problem on ceramic works seems to often be the bottom silicone rubber seal. The compression is lost on the works, which then causes a dripping tap. A new washer would often solve it.
I test for that on sink mixers by pressing my hand on the top of one of the levers, to see if the drip stops or lessens, therefore immediately diagnosing if it is hot or the cold ceramic works faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to eramic disc valves - a thought. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

See attached pics of our quarter turn ceramic disc kitchen tap, which needs a new ceramic disc valve. It is circa 20 years old, and I believe was...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
My kitchen mixer tap (Franke Zurich) has developed a drip. Presumably the cartridge (hot) has started to wear out. It is one that I replaced about...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock