Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen mixer taps (lifespan/brands/prices/variants) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My kitchen mixer tap (Franke Zurich) has developed a drip. Presumably the cartridge (hot) has started to wear out. It is one that I replaced about 3 and half yrs ago for the same reason (not sure how old its predecessor was as we inherited it). Doesn't seem a particularly great lifespan, but I'm told it's fairly typical of this type of valve.

Anyway, I could just buy a new cartridge at around a tenner (or a pair for ~£17), BUT I there is also a slight leak where the spout joins the body, the spout has a bit of wobble to it and the finish is dodgy in parts, so we're wondering if to bite the bullet and replace the whole darn thing. That said, we dislike wastefulness (especially where it's the result of built-in obsolescence) and if we were able to fix the spout, I don't know if there's much else to go wrong - is there anything else that can determine the lifespan of these taps?

I consulted our friendly plumber and he says he's seen quite a few such problems with Franke taps but they're more or less all as bad as each other, and even the longer warranties don't necessarily mean better quality or easy returns. I've been looking at how much it would cost for a new tap, and I'm baffled by how the prices vary wildly, even from the same manufacturer. It doesn't take long to find a dual-lever mixer tap of approximately the same size, shape, finish and features as another one in the same range, the only obvious difference being perhaps the style of the handles, and yet one costs £50 or £100 more than the other. Does this suggest the internals are of a better quality in the dearer tap, or is it all just marketing weirdness?

So far I've been looking at Bristan, Franke and Grohe as reputable brands, but also wondered about Rangemaster, but would love to know if they're genuinely better than some cheap job such as a £50 'Deva' from Toolstation or a £90 one from Wickes, and whether spares are likely to be readily available for some of the lesser-known brands.

Finally - any views on the merits or drawbacks of single-lever models? From what I've seen, it may only be one cartridge to replace rather than two, but some of them are plastic rather than brass, which doesn't fill me full of confidence.

Thanks.

My kitchen mixer tap (Franke Zurich) has developed a drip. Presumably the cartridge (hot) has started to wear out. It is one that I replaced about 3 and half yrs ago for the same reason (not sure how old its predecessor was as we inherited it). Doesn't seem a particularly great lifespan, but I'm told it's fairly typical of this type of valve.

Anyway, I could just buy a new cartridge at around a tenner (or a pair for ~£17), BUT I there is also a slight leak where the spout joins the body, the spout has a bit of wobble to it and the finish is dodgy in parts, so we're wondering if to bite the bullet and replace the whole darn thing. That said, we dislike wastefulness (especially where it's the result of built-in obsolescence) and if we were able to fix the spout, I don't know if there's much else to go wrong - is there anything else that can determine the lifespan of these taps?

I consulted our friendly plumber and he says he's seen quite a few such problems with Franke taps but they're more or less all as bad as each other, and even the longer warranties don't necessarily mean better quality or easy returns. I've been looking at how much it would cost for a new tap, and I'm baffled by how the prices vary wildly, even from the same manufacturer. It doesn't take long to find a dual-lever mixer tap of approximately the same size, shape, finish and features as another one in the same range, the only obvious difference being perhaps the style of the handles, and yet one costs £50 or £100 more than the other. Does this suggest the internals are of a better quality in the dearer tap, or is it all just marketing weirdness?

So far I've been looking at Bristan, Franke and Grohe as reputable brands, but also wondered about Rangemaster, but would love to know if they're genuinely better than some cheap job such as a £50 'Deva' from Toolstation or a £90 one from Wickes, and whether spares are likely to be readily available for some of the lesser-known brands.

Finally - any views on the merits or drawbacks of single-lever models? From what I've seen, it may only be one cartridge to replace rather than two, but some of them are plastic rather than brass, which doesn't fill me full of confidence.

Thanks.
Only recommend sticking to named brand if you want to be able to repair it. all taps are rubbish now, (to be fair to Franke they did pay me recently to change an in warranty tap which was beyond economical repair). it's what keeps an old plumber like me in work, I have bucketfuls of old taps, (now spring is here no doubt the good lady will want them gone)

I think you generally get what you pay for. I would avoid the 50 ish quid mark and definitely the dirt cheap amazon jobs. You interact with the kitchen tap every day. Get a good one. I'd look to spend 100 - 150. Imo A single lever generally has a cartridge which is harder to find than a 2 handle type, for which cartridges are generally fairly universal. Either way a better known brand is more likely to make finding spares easier in future.

OK, I'm spotting a theme here :) Thanks everyone for your feedback. The drip has stopped since I removed, cleaned and reseated the cartridges, and strangely the leak (at base of spout) seems better too, but I don't know how long it will hold out. We've picked out a couple of Franke models we like anyway, as and when it starts up again.

Reply to Kitchen mixer taps (lifespan/brands/prices/variants) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock