Search the forum,

Discuss Electric supply to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewsh

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've heard different rules from different engineers about the electric supply to boilers. My one mate who's an installer for BG says it has to be supplied via a switchable fuse spur and you can't just have a fused plug socket.

One of the guys I work with reckons that you can either have a switched fuse spur or a plug which goes in to a non-switchable socket so you physically have to pull the plug out to kill the power, rather than just pressing the off button.

Anyone know if these are regs or just good practice?

I thought so. And my BG mate made us pay some sparky to put a spur in when we could have used the plug socket!

Is it NCS or is it just electric regs?

Bewsh
What are you asking is NCS or electric regs, a boiler on a plug top?
Read the MI for the boiler and it will tell you how it should be connected, it might tell you to refer to BS ???? Which you might need a spark to clarify for you
Basically the boiler MI will be looking for complete isolation, which a plug top meets but get a spark to confirm, NOT your BG mate who is quoting THEIR rules not the regs

Can't get much safer than unplugging the boiler in terms of isolation lol.

As I understand it a fixed appliance needs to be connected via a switched fused spur and a boiler counts as a fixed appliance.

As I understand it, a plug/socket is fine....but a lot of engineers sneer at the idea.

I tend to fit a switched, fused spur but I don't mind at all when I see a boiler wired back to a plug!

Sorry but I think a fixed appliance needs to be wired via a switched fused spur. I will check wiring reg's and apologise if I am wrong but I don't think a three pin plug complies with 17th edition reg's

I'm actually a big enough loser to have looked up the regs on fixed appliances in 17th edition. Since I'm hoping to be doing ACS soon it sounded like the kind of thing I should check. As far as the reg on fixed equipment goes it's number 537.3.2.1 and plug and socket outlet is acceptable. Whether there is something somewhere else in the regs I don't know. I feel like such a geek.

As said, needs to be an unswitched socket or a switched fused spur.

Switched sockets can be switched on the live only so doesn't give enough means of isolation for a lazy engineer that will just switch it off instead of unplugging it.

Here it is:

From the current BS 6798:2009

Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

5.6 Electricity supplies and wiring
The electrical installation shall conform to BS 7671.
5.6.3 The point of connection to the mains electricity shall be readily accessible and the method of connection shall provide electrical isolation of the boiler and all ancillary electrical controls by either:
a) a double-pole switched fused connection unit; or
b) a fused three-pin plug and an unswitched shuttered socket outlet (refer to 5.3.5.4 if the boiler is going to be installed in a bathroom).

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 5.6.3
The Institution of Electrical Engineers Electrician’s Guide to the Building Regulations [17] advises that a minimum of 300 mm should be allowed from the edge of kitchen sinks and draining boards to the boiler’s point of connection to the mains electricity to reduce the risk of being splashed.
5.6.4 All fuses shall be in accordance with the boiler and component manufacturer’s instructions.

Last edited:
b) a fused three-pin plug and an unswitched shuttered socket
outlet (refer to 5.3.5.4 if the boiler is going to be installed in a
bathroom).

As we know from the 17th – you could have a socket-outlets it a bathroom but it has to be 3m away (horizontally) from the boundary of zone 1.

From the current BS 6798:2009

Specification for installation and maintenance of gas-fired boilers of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net

5.3.5 Bathroom and shower room installations

5.3.5.4 The electrical supply to the boiler shall be provided via a switched fused connection unit; however, socket-outlets are allowed in rooms containing a bath or shower as long as they are 3 m from the edge of Zone 1 and RCD protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electric supply to boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock