Discuss dual immersion tank keeps tripping out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnga

Hi, I have recently had a new dual immersion tank & element fitted. Since fitting ,the element keeps tripping shortly after switching on. Very frustrating to find no hot water after believing you are going to have a tank full. This happens on both "sink" & "bath" settings.The plumber came back & changed the thermostat & adjusted the temp settings. However the problem still occurs ,only now on a random basis. Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Hello johnga,

What trips? Is it the element - if so are you saying it happens on both elements? - or a protective device like a RCD?

Hello johnga,

What trips? Is it the element - if so are you saying it happens on both elements? - or a protective device like a RCD?

the way the plumber explained it to me ,its the trip in the element...there is a tiny reset button which can be reset...but there is no way of knowing when or if it will trip out....besides dont like having to mess with electrics i dont understand....thnx

must be the trip in the rod thermostat.....it worked ok for 2 days but has driven us crazy today....i keep pushing the reset button on the thermostat but cant get the water temp above lukewarm...thnx

Are the stats set too high therefore causing them to trip I thnk the overheat is set at about 90 degrees. If its happening on both settings it seems strange as one controls the top stat one controls the bottom I'd check what setting the stats on

Last edited by a moderator:
The high limit stat which is now an integral part of every rod thermostat is pre-set to operate at 80 -85 deg C it seems you have either a temperamental one which is tripping an lower temperatures or there is something else which is causing the heat to build-up around this area.

I would normally change it as a first action to ensure you haven't just got a rouge one & set the control stat to 60 deg's C (the water stored in the cylinder must be above 55), as these are low cost items. As this has been already been done I would be looking at the wiring connections to ensure they are made correctly any poorly made connections can cause heat to be produced when the immersion is switched on. Make sure there is nothing covering / insulating the immersion cap so any heat build up inside can be lost.
You could try a different make of thermostat so long as they are the same length there are interchangeable, failing that its a new cylinder with them on the side or an anti-stratification pump.

The high limit stat which is now an integral part of every rod thermostat is pre-set to operate at 80 -85 deg C it seems you have either a temperamental one which is tripping an lower temperatures or there is something else which is causing the heat to build-up around this area.

I would normally change it as a first action to ensure you haven't just got a rouge one & set the control stat to 60 deg's C (the water stored in the cylinder must be above 55), as these are low cost items. As this has been already been done I would be looking at the wiring connections to ensure they are made correctly any poorly made connections can cause heat to be produced when the immersion is switched on. Make sure there is nothing covering / insulating the immersion cap so any heat build up inside can be lost.
You could try a different make of thermostat so long as they are the same length there are interchangeable, failing that its a new cylinder with them on the side or an anti-stratification pump.

Thanks to all who replied & helped....the answer was a new rod thermostat & a new plumber....fitted & working in minutes....thanks again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to dual immersion tank keeps tripping out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the...
Replies
Views
I have just had a new boiler and 210 ltr unvented tank fitted in the loft to replace a very old Baxi back boiler. I have now fitted a Solic 200...
Replies
Views
I want to replace my old immersion heater, it currently has a dual immersion with bath/sink switch, we only ever need the whole tank heated so can...
Replies
Views
E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock