Search the forum,

Discuss Dripping kitchen mixer tap - problem with pressure? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

We live on a farm and the main water pipe comes down a long driveway and then splits off two ways - 1) to the main farmhouse, which then feeds a pressure washing bay on one of the other units and 2) to the other units, including a small commercial kitchen, and another pressure washing bay. In the main farmhouse, we've had issues with a knocking sound under the kitchen sink which I believe is something to do with the machinery used in the small commercial kitchen (they make natural juices from fruit). Then I started seeing the kitchen mixer tap (cold) dripping when using the outdoor tap or whilst running a bath. Now the kitchen mixer tap is dripping for most of the day (I think the dripping is linked with when the other units are using water), so I wonder if it's related to pressure and what would be the best action to resolve it. Thanks!

We live on a farm and the main water pipe comes down a long driveway and then splits off two ways - 1) to the main farmhouse, which then feeds a pressure washing bay on one of the other units and 2) to the other units, including a small commercial kitchen, and another pressure washing bay. In the main farmhouse, we've had issues with a knocking sound under the kitchen sink which I believe is something to do with the machinery used in the small commercial kitchen (they make natural juices from fruit). Then I started seeing the kitchen mixer tap (cold) dripping when using the outdoor tap or whilst running a bath. Now the kitchen mixer tap is dripping for most of the day (I think the dripping is linked with when the other units are using water), so I wonder if it's related to pressure and what would be the best action to resolve it. Thanks!
Likely be the kitchen mixer tap has a ceramic cartridge and is letting water through it when pressure drops. Usually best with new cold cartridge, but there are a lot of different types of cartridges with varying number of splines etc to fit the tap handle.

Likely be the kitchen mixer tap has a ceramic cartridge and is letting water through it when pressure drops. Usually best with new cold cartridge, but there are a lot of different types of cartridges with varying number of splines etc to fit the tap handle.
Thank you. Yes, it is a ceramic cartridge, but the tap was cheap and probably best to change the whole tap I think. Should I just replace it with something similar, or is there a different type of tap that would be more suitable for these regular pressure changes?
Appreciate your help, thank you.

I would suggest it is still worth repairing by just replacing the faulty cartridge and hopefully that will solve your problem. That is of course if the tap is in otherwise good condition.
If you know the make of the tap, (or post photo on here of tap), it might be possible to identify what cartridge needed.

I would suggest it is still worth repairing by just replacing the faulty cartridge and hopefully that will solve your problem. That is of course if the tap is in otherwise good condition.
If you know the make of the tap, (or post photo on here of tap), it might be possible to identify what cartridge needed.
Thanks for your advice. The tap is a little bit stained on the spout so I think I'll just replace it, thank you.

Reply to Dripping kitchen mixer tap - problem with pressure? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock