Currently reading:
Drill replacement

Discuss Drill replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jay_1981

I am replaceing my cordless drill and wanted some input of you lads as to which brands/models have a good track record. Also anyone using Li-ion batteries if so what is the verdict. At present I am using an SDS corded makita which works fine but my cordless has seen better days (plus it is a cheap and nasty RYOBI)

It all depends on what you want it for. My 36V bosch is great for heavy duty drilling duties etc. but is no good for driving screws, drilling small holes in metal, holes in wood. Work supply us with 24v bosch drills and while they are good they are not a replacement for a corded SDS like my 36 is.

It was suggested that we use the new 18v makita SDS instead of the 24v bosch so work got me to test one. Lovely drill for fixings, nice and light good battery life. It let me down when I went to drill the 25mm condense and blow off holes. Two flat batteries later and half a hole drilled. Nice drill but no good for what we wanted.

We are also supplied with 18v Makita drills. Initially we were supplied with the version with hammer. Average life span was about 4 months before the gearbox went. Too much temptation to use it in masonry rather than getting the SDS out. The replacement is the drill driver with no hammer. Only two speed instead of three and on paper not such a powerful drill. Much better though because without the hammer action they don't get abused so much. My current one is coming up for a year old. Quite good for the amount of use it gets.

Mike

Here is my selction - try these for size:
10.8v Bosch driver (small and powerful to use under baths ect)
18v Makita Impact Driver (heavier duty construction)
18v Makita Hammer Drill L-ion (the mutts nuts in my mind - will do anything)
2kg Dewalt Sds (drilling and light demolition)
6kg SDS (cores, heavy drilling and demolition)

Something for every occassion -I may be a comulsive drill horder tho!

Best to use specific drill for specific jobs, for more efficiecy and comforatablity at work.

If a Makita burns out after a few months, I thought it had a 3 year warrenty. Course it will if thats all you use . . .

Dont buy Dewalt cordless though (crap batteries) - get Maita l-ion preferably.

makita are the drills to go for imo they are good, i also use the li-thion bty these are well worth it the btys take upto 20mins to charge and they also last longer

is it worth changing the sds corded to cordless, how well do these perform and do they experience loss of power as battery drains.
Think I will be replacing my cordless for a makita, it was top of my list anyway but after your comments thats sealed the deal.
glad of the dewalt comment avatar they were a consideration.

Makita BHP452RFX Li-ion 18V Cordless Combi Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

This is a cheaper version of the kind of spec you want (only 1 battery tho) - 3ah l-ion batteries are the only way to go. Aviod cheap Makita and Dewalt deals in B&Q ect with three batteries, they are only 1.3ah and will last 1.3 minutes each . . .

The general consensus on cordles SDS is dont bother. The whole point is power with SDS, so having a cordless would defeat the purpose by instantly reducing the power/torque of the drill. I think you would have to spend about £500 on a 36v SDS cordless that might hold its own with a £90+ 2kg Dewalt/Makita SDS plus . . .

You can do the maths yourself - nice if you have the cash to burn!

I quite like the Bosch 10.8v l-ion range though, a nice sized set of tools
for plumbers to use.

This would do the job for all-purpose sds plus drilling/chiseling.
DeWalt D25113K 240V 2kg SDS Plus Drill - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

I've been quite happy with my 18v Dewalt combi drill for most things including light masonry drilling. For anything heaverier or core drilling I use a corded 4kg Makita SDS.

I recently replaced my old cordless screwdriver with the 10.4v Bosch Driver - It's brilliant, loads of torque and really good speed control. I'm now thinking about buying the 10.4v Drill and Impact driver twin pack whilst it's on offer.

QUESTION - I've never used an impact driver, how much better are these than regular cordles drivers?

Mark.

Definately better in all ways bar size and weight.

If you want to get under a bath, or are doing delicate driving (electrical) it is no good, but in almost all other areas impact drivers excell.

The sheer speed they do the job is breath-taking!!

If you want power to best be 18 volt:
Makita LXT202 LXT 18V Li-ion Twin Pack - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

THis kit is the best for all jobs, and the imapct driver is considered the bestr in its class . . .

hitatchi, (last years model) on offer at most toolmarts.
the price is good and if your not worried about having the latest youll get a good deal for a decent drill with a good guarantee.
shaun

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammer drills are okay, but watch out for externally rendered pebble dashing. If you go to hard POW! a nice big burst out. But hey! why not learn a bit of rendering skill. But try matching it with the old stuff?

Depending on external wall if rendered better with ordinary rotary drill and patience.

cordless in my opinion for quality and value you can't beat aeg(milwalkee)top class 3 year gtee metal chuck and knocks my last makita 8444 into a cocked hat!and half the price too.bought one this week 2x3ah li-ion 18v £129 delivered

Got a load of 18 AEG lithium ion tools and batts a few months ago,cherry picked deals and paid under £300 for this lot:

3 x lithium 3 amp batts, 2 x Ni cad batts, 2x combi drills,1 x recip saw, 1 x circular, 2 x chargers, 2x hard cases, 1 x contactors bag, 1 x torch/lantern.

Grafted hard on 6 big jobs so far,as well as general daily stuff and all running in fine. Drill bit heavy so use lithium batts as lighter, loads of torque/power, both saws excellent, batteries hold up ok - not amazing but max power till they drop charge.

Great for plumbers but but maybe not for a joiner - not as refined,light or well balanced as premium Makita or equivalent Milwaukee but what do you want for the money - Defo trade quality, and AEG are "relaunching" what appears to be the same line in a horrid orange (same as Rigid? US "version") but also new diddy jobsite radio in new range which will appear to take the batts I got.Yay!

only one word HILTI.
life time warranty for as long as you own the equipment,i have just had a new chuck/brushes on my 15.5v cordless and at the time cost £250 to buy,but that was 4 years ago,hilti only charged me £45 for the service.
so HILTI ALL THE WAY.

only one word HILTI.
life time warranty for as long as you own the equipment,i have just had a new chuck/brushes on my 15.5v cordless and at the time cost £250 to buy,but that was 4 years ago,hilti only charged me £45 for the service.
so HILTI ALL THE WAY.
A life time warranty that cost £45 for repair?

We use the Dewalt cordless 14.4v

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/drilling_a_tile.jpg

Although we would now choose the 18v model below

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/guideplate.jpg
Still a dewalt.

t6alking to a milwaukee rep although they own aeg they are made in different factorys and milwaukee are not aeg in fancy wrappers. so dont go thinking you got a milwaukee when youve got aeg.

i got a leaflet through today from screw fix offering a 18 volt milwaukee combi drill with a 18 volt impact driver chucked in to the deal for 339 quid great me thinks just what im after called them up and they say they sold out all ready any one no a good shop for milwaukee in the area berkshire cheers. It seems to get milwaukee hilti and festool is hard to find a good stockist with more than a couple of tools.

i got a leaflet through today from screw fix offering a 18 volt milwaukee combi drill with a 18 volt impact driver chucked in to the deal for 339 quid great me thinks just what im after called them up and they say they sold out all ready any one no a good shop for milwaukee in the area berkshire cheers. It seems to get milwaukee hilti and festool is hard to find a good stockist with more than a couple of tools.

grahams machinary in chester sell them all mate - im sure there will be someone near you that do them. we fit kitchens too and use festool absoloute class.

I think Aldermaston Tool Company (ATC-The Aldermaston Tool Company) does Milwaukee. They certainly do Dewalt, Makita, Metabo and Bosch and have a very good service and repair department.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drill replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock