Discuss Dreaded call...water pouring through ceiling under newly fitted shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I can never have a normal evening, after working at least 10 hours a day for 3 weeks I had a 4pm finish today which I never ever have and just when I was sat having my early tea the phone went, recognized the number..let the stress commence..

Two and a half weeks ago I re did a leaking old shower enclosure with a cracked tray, re plumbed everything in copper and fixed a 760 x 760 stone tray right down on the floor and tiled 3 walls round with the existing shower door (don't ask), existing electric shower went back in, everything tested fully.

Get the call tonight shes just got home after a week away to find water pouring out of the ceiling into the lounge from right under the shower, I said right turn the water off and I'm on my way, drove 2 miles there through all the rush our traffic thinking oh god this is the big insurance claim I've been dreading for 10 years. Got there and saw the mess downstairs and wanted to cry, went into bathroom and took the cover off the Mira Zest, bone dry so I cut a hole in the floor (old cork tiles over floorboards), got my torch and camera under the tray and saw wetness but couldn't pinpoint so I went round to the foot of the toilet and cut another section of floor out and it was worse there but the copper pipe going up to the shower was dry, I turned the water on again to see if I could see or hear anything but nothing so I cut further towards the toilet into the next joist space and that was where most of the water was..I thought to myself is this even the shower leaking and the over flow from the cistern went straight down under the floorboards and into an elbow, I lifted the cistern lid and the Torbeck was passing and water was brimming the overflow, the elbow was leaking under the floor after all that! I was about to start ripping my new tiles off!

Major panic to total relief :eek:

I'm starting to cap the over flows off and install an fluid master at most it's going to run into the bowel etc

It turns out the grey overflow had a hole in it at just below chipboard level and was on an uphill ba57ardised run so the hole was lower than the outlet.
The house backs straight onto a field full of weeing and jobbying cows 3 metres away from my ladders in the rain.
I replaced in Solvent weld.

Convert to internal overflow.

The dreaded moment you get a call from a customer who you have just done work for. I always assume the worst when I see the number pop up.

I know exactly that end of the world feeling. Am sure big relief for you Phil, but I bet you didn’t get over the initial shock and worry for a day?
Worst false alarm I had was after I worked in a multi story apartment on a top floor flat and next day reports were the flat below was getting flooded.
I imagined I had somehow destroyed all the flats below and rushed to find no sign of water in flat I worked in. Got a phone call the next day to say it was a mistake and flooding was on another apartment block. Genuinely made me feel ill. :p

I know exactly that end of the world feeling. Am sure big relief for you Phil, but I bet you didn’t get over the initial shock and worry for a day?
Worst false alarm I had was after I worked in a multi story apartment on a top floor flat and next day reports were the flat below was getting flooded.
I imagined I had somehow destroyed all the flats below and rushed to find no sign of water in flat I worked in. Got a phone call the next day to say it was a mistake and flooding was on another apartment block. Genuinely made me feel ill. :p
Proof you're human lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Dreaded call...water pouring through ceiling under newly fitted shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock