Search the forum,

Discuss Downstairs radiators not warming well in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bewsh

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Alright guys?

A mates parents are having trouble with their radiators down stairs. The boiler is a Baxi Combi 80HE, I've changed the pump and balanced the system, but the problem is the same.

I think the pipework is undersized so not getting enough flow, what do you guys reckon?

The boiler is upstairs, flow/return come down the wall of the lounge in 22mm then reduced to 15mm hep under the crawl space below the lounge, this 15mm is then feeding all of downstairs, a total of 5 radiators, all large doubles, 3x 1800, 2x 1400 radiators.

I've told him that 15mm hep has an even smaller internal diameter, and suggested re-piping in 22mm.

Any other problems I should be looking at before re-piping it?

Cheers!

Old rule of thumb:- 15mm pipework good for up to 15,000 Btu. Extend flow and return in 22 mm. and flush system whilst you are drained down.

has it always been a problem?
or has it developed?
does sound undersized on the pipes

All worked previously, it was my mates grandparents house before. But all radiators, valves and downstairs pipework was renewed by some company.

Have you had valves off ground floor rads see if any crap stuck in them ??

All worked previously, it was my mates grandparents house before. But all radiators, valves and downstairs pipework was renewed by some company.

Always frustrating when they say it all worked fine before... It makes it harder for them to understand the need for us guys to upgrade / replace pipework!!

There is an estate where I am that have 8mm to the rads and work to an acceptable degree, maybe a restriction somewhere

How about trying a flush through of the system? Like above posts said maybe a restriction, sludge etc!

Nah system has already been flushed.

I'm going to just chuck 22mm circs in the crawl space downstairs, I had another look and they have used the coils of 15mm hep, so it's all over the place, so going to use straight lengths this time.

It may have been flushed but all the crap may be on the downstairs circuit ,yes putting bigger pipe will help but if it's microbore unless you flush with an immersion heating element on flushing machine this will confirm rad temp--I don't understand why people don't use them as using the boiler drags muck in to main hex etc

It may have been flushed but all the crap may be on the downstairs circuit ,yes putting bigger pipe will help but if it's microbore unless you flush with an immersion heating element on flushing machine this will confirm rad temp--I don't understand why people don't use them as using the boiler drags muck in to main hex etc

Use a filter with your machine... Will catch it for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Downstairs radiators not warming well in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Looking to upgrade a couple of rads in my house but wanted to get some advice on suitability. I have a glowworm bg330 31 kw conventional boiler...
Replies
Views
I have a 320 sqft double storey house with 6 bedrooms. The house is serviced by two heat only boilers (non condensing); a 120k btu (35kw) and a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Recently had a new combi installed (Glow-worm Energy 30kw) in a new location (moved from upstairs to down). The flow and returns now...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, hope I can get some advice. I’m a gas safe engineer , working on a central heating issue, so I hope this in the the correct forum?? I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock