Search the forum,

Discuss Does Slower pump speed= better condensing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cubbs

evening guys. On our condensing oil boiler will turning the pump speed to 1 increase the boilers condensing? That makes it more efficient?

thanks

Boiler stat is on max but I've turned the pump to one. Rads are all still getting hot. There's plenty of condensate running.

So what would be best for how much or little the boiler is cycling?

Cheers

You need to monitor the return temp and get that as close to the dew point as possible.
Do that by the means at your disposal while maintaining a comfortable temp.

Dew point Is 54 degrees

I thought it was 55° as that what most sites say, I am happy to be corrected :)

So you need a return flow temperature less than that (and it's the temperature not the flow volume that matters).

Heat emitted (crudely) = flow rate x temperature drop (deltaT)
Hence with heat pumps when we go for a deltaT of 5° we have a higher flow rate.
Biomass boilers with their high temperature output you can sometimes go with a deltaT of 20°
Condensing boilers normally a 10° deltaT.

So, to get your return flow at or below 54° you can balance flow rate (aka pump setting) and boiler temperature, getting this correct will also reduce the boiler cycling.

Of course your actual deltaT for a given flow and boiler temperature will depend upon the heat (kW) required and that depends upon radiator sizes, desired room temperature and outside temperature. (Assuming you are not changing the insulation :)

p.s. according to industry research out there most people haven't adjusted to the lower flow temperatures required of a condensing boiler so most of them don condense! (How many of you still design rads on a deltaT of 50 ?? just think about it - you should be designing for a deltaT of 40 on a condensing boiler.

Is your condensing boiler actually condensing? | YouGen Blog | YouGen, Renewable Energy Made Easy

Sorry, but the boiler needs a high flow to condense.
Where did you get that idea from?

Condensing starts when the return temperature is at the dew point (approx 54C) and increases as the return temperature lowers. So you get very little condensation at 54C return and much more when the return is 24C.

If you reduce the flow rate the temperature differential will increase at the boiler, so the return temperature will be lower. The only problem is that the rads at the far end of the system may not get hot. But this can normally be corrected by balancing the system.

Where did you get that idea from?

Condensing starts when the return temperature is at the dew point (approx 54C) and increases as the return temperature lowers. So you get very little condensation at 54C return and much more when the return is 24C.

If you reduce the flow rate the temperature differential will increase at the boiler, so the return temperature will be lower. The only problem is that the rads at the far end of the system may not get hot. But this can normally be corrected by balancing the system.

So based upon that statement, what would your design parameters be on a new heating system installation?

I thought it was 55° as that what most sites say, I am happy to be corrected :)
It depends on the exact composition of the gas.

Most boiler manufacturers (including your namesake) now expect a differential of 20C max. This requires a lower flow rate, so the head of the system is reduced which means a lower pump speed. The problem then is that radiator outputs are reduced, but this is not normally a problem as installers tend to over-specify radiators.

If you design for a 70C flow and 50C return, rad outputs will be 73% of the BS EN 442 value shown in catalogues, so ypou need rads which are "oversized" by 38%.

Try not to let the return temp drop below 40 or this causes condensing in the primary heat exchanger and therefore shortening its life span, as it is only constructed of mild steel where as secondary hex (condenser) is made of stainless because of the acidity of the condensate.

If you are concerned about efficiency ensure that it is serviced and combustion adjusted every year to help maximise performance.

Try not to let the return temp drop below 40 or this causes condensing in the primary heat exchanger and therefore shortening its life span, as it is only constructed of mild steel where as secondary hex (condenser) is made of stainless because of the acidity of the condensate.
That can't be correct when you consider that boiler manufacturers have to state the output with temperatures of 80°/60° and 50°/30°. Some manufacturers also provide data for 40°/30°.

Which boiler has a mild steel primary hex and stainless secondary hex?

Slowing the pump will not necessarily make the boiler condense any better. You're better off turning down the boiler stat a bit. Heat output into a room from a radiator will depend on rad design, room temperature and mean temperature through the rad. Turning the pump down (assuming it still manages to pump enough water through the whole system and satisfies the boiler flow requirements) will probably slow the flow through the rad, meaning there is a greater temperature drop across it and mean temperature goes down as well as return temp. Lower mean temp equals lower output from the rad and lower return temp back to the boiler means more condensing.
As Doitmyself says, these days the temperature difference across a system is normally 20C instead of the old 11C, which gives lower flow rates. Generally, if I'm adding an extension onto an old system designed for 82/71C I'll design for 85/65C. In that case the mean temp drops by 1.5C so the rad output is hardly changed but the pipe and pump sizing is smaller. If you want the boiler to condense more I would look at boiler compensation (assuming you're not wanting to heat a HW cylinder) with a limit on the return temp back to the boiler.

That can't be correct when you consider that boiler manufacturers have to state the output with temperatures of 80°/60° and 50°/30°. Some manufacturers also provide data for 40°/30°.

Which boiler has a mild steel primary hex and stainless secondary hex?

OP is referring to his OIL boiler. IIRC all oil boilers are mild steel primary and stainless secondary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does Slower pump speed= better condensing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock