Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone know how this happens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Sue66

Gas Engineer
Pinhole leak in old thick copper cold pipe for no apparent reason. See middle of picture

Attachments

• 20190913_151724.jpg
    20190913_151724.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
Pinhole leak in old thick copper cold pipe for no apparent reason. See middle of picture
Lots of possible causes (Google it). It often said that copper pipe lasts 20-50 years.

If you are lucky, it'll be one defect in an otherwise good system. More realistically, it'll be the first of several in that run of pipe. If you are unlucky, pinholes will start appearing everywhere over the next few years and you'll need to re-pipe the whole house.

Personally, I'd replace the run at this point and have a critical look at the appearance of any other easily visible pipes. If the surface looks 'dimpled' that section is probably on its last legs.

If you do need to re-pipe, my advice would be to use branded high-quality tube such as Yorkshire, not some no-name stuff from China via ebay. (I suspect that plenty of people these days would repipe in plastic but I'm a dinasaur and I don't like the stuff.)

Could it be uncleared flux?
There was nothing on the outside. I just don't get it.
[automerge]1568408379[/automerge]
Struggling with this quote malarkey but Yes I see what you mean. So basically even really thick copper can just suddenly pin hole everywhere even though its super thick and this is just the first to appear.

Had one a week ish ago was just full of flux

Attachments

• 1358C582-8721-45B4-871D-780AD503A8DC.jpeg
    1358C582-8721-45B4-871D-780AD503A8DC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 41CB4A62-41CD-4EA1-B21D-84AEA4CD52E7.jpeg
    41CB4A62-41CD-4EA1-B21D-84AEA4CD52E7.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 65D730CB-DDCD-4255-B318-FC9133BA877C.jpeg
    65D730CB-DDCD-4255-B318-FC9133BA877C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
  • 0DB14D11-F267-420A-9AE0-DB217D658F7B.jpeg
    0DB14D11-F267-420A-9AE0-DB217D658F7B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
I don;t know w'y it happened.

but about 10 years ago, I had done a conventional to combi swap. Tidying up and getting paid. waked in the kitchen and water was squirting up through the kitchen floor. It was a quite magnificent fountain display, what you would see in a municipal pond / fountain. Had to replace about 9M of hot water pipe.

I don;t know w'y it happened.

but about 10 years ago, I had done a conventional to combi swap. Tidying up and getting paid. waked in the kitchen and water was squirting up through the kitchen floor. It was a quite magnificent fountain display, what you would see in a municipal pond / fountain. Had to replace about 9M of hot water pipe.
Love the image reminds me of Vegas. The bellagio or whatever it's called. Sound bloody awful from our perspective though

Sue,

It is more likely to be a result of the water quality that the pipe work quality. Bimetallic corrosion, high chlorine levels or high PH are all key contributory factors. Look for slight dimpling elsewhere on the system for an indication if this is the start of a longer term issue

Are you on a private water supply? Ours is very acidic & 15mm copper won't last 5 years (which I found 37 years ago after completely re-plumbing our "new" house in copper😡 I had to redo it all in plastic, since when all OK)
I sent pipe samples off to IMI etc etc & was told it was probably flux deposits which I found strange since it often occurred in vertical runs. When the water supply failed one day I went to the spring to investigate & found the brass tank connector on the collection tank had completely dezincified & could be crumbled with my fingers - THEN the penny dropped!

Maybe plastic from now on then. First time I'm actually thinking this!
Don't be put off Copper by that. It is more than likely an impurity in the Copper. It might not happen again. Don't worry about it.
If it is corrosion caused by external influence, there is normally some kind of indication of that in my experience.
Plastic.........Ew no! Be a proper Plumber. He Ducks in readiness for the onslaught!

Thanks for all your helpful And interesting responses to my question everyone. The pipe was left with the customer so I don't have it now for further analysis. Hopefully it was a one off problem but judging by some responses this may not be the case!

I was told by an older and wiser plumber that back in the 60's / 70's cheap copper pipe was being imported from "Africa", possibly Nigeria.
He reckoned it pinholed after a few years, particularly where bends had been pulled.
It was Rhodesian copper tube, very thin walled and fragile. It does pinhole and when you work on it often developes leaks eleswhere
came accross it in Bath years ago. centralheatking

Not that uncommon see pinhole corrosion 2 or 3 times a year even had it on my own property!
Always understood it's part of manufacturing process copper tube is drawn out and has to be anealed every so many passes.
During this process very occasional a small piece is scale becomes embedded in internal tube wall . Tube is very thin at that point and hard water and as some stage small fountain!

Not that uncommon see pinhole corrosion 2 or 3 times a year even had it on my own property!
Always understood it's part of manufacturing process copper tube is drawn out and has to be anealed every so many passes.
During this process very occasional a small piece is scale becomes embedded in internal tube wall . Tube is very thin at that point and hard water and as some stage small fountain!
Not true I am afraid, at least it hasn't been for many a long year.
It is really worth the read, here is the link again http://www.fwr.org/copper.pdf
For the record it was type 2 (not 1) that I had a lot of problems with on high temp secondary HW returns.

I don’t think that is correct. It depends on wherther or not you are comparing current specification R250 or R290 copper tube with earlier specifications. I have just micrometered ( if that is a word ) pieces of 15mm copper from 1969, 1976 and a new piece of R290 from stock. The wall thicknesses are all within the band 0.7 to 1.1mm - admittedly only three samples, with the latter (1.1mm) being current material. R250 (half hard) would be 0.7mm plus or minus 10%

I don’t think that is correct. It depends on wherther or not you are comparing current specification R250 or R290 copper tube with earlier specifications. I have just micrometered ( if that is a word ) pieces of 15mm copper from 1969, 1976 and a new piece of R290 from stock. The wall thicknesses are all within the band 0.7 to 1.1mm - admittedly only three samples, with the latter (1.1mm) being current material. R250 (half hard) would be 0.7mm plus or minus 10%

It may be that its old imperial tube I've removed or that innner walls have an accumulation of contaminates but the old stuff seems to have significantly more heft than what I fit today. It could also be that I'm comparing with tube from the likes of Screwfix and not a merchant who may hold better quality products. Your analyasis is much more scientific than my entirely gut based approach so I could well be wrong.

15mm is available in wall thicknesses that range from 0.5 mm to 1.5mm.
Retail stores tend to stock relatively thin-wall, types, typically 0.7mm or 0.8mm.

Specifying copper tube correctly is surprisingly complicated:

Thanks for the info, I've seen similar specs in industrial applications but never for domestic stuff. Interesting to know, I guess its the race to the bottom like everything else.

Reply to Does anyone know how this happens in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock