Discuss dodgy price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company my girlfriend works for needs a new toilet, just a straight swap and heres the quote they got:
Parts 371.20
Labour 442.75
Total 814.20 inc VAT

does the toilet they are fitting look like this ??

untitled.jpg

unless it's not actually a straight swap at all - and it's in central london - and it's being done on a sunday - difficult to imagine how that price could be arrived at.

Put a price in - you soon will be an approved company if theyre going to save loads of money.

For that price it must be a gold plated toilet with sterling silver pipe. If they can charge that for labour, I wonder if their plumbers turn up on a horse wearing Highway men outfits. Dick Turpin carrying a plunger.

Last edited by a moderator:
the companies not that bothered at the minute its on their to do list to get more tradesman on their books but not a priority

Why don't you get your lass to tell whoever authorises works, that you can do it for a couple hundred? They'd be stupid not to look into it at least. Mind you, with most firms nowadays, they'll probly make some poor sap redundant to pay for the new bog!

Also the way some companies are nowadays you could be waiting 6 months for your money.

No company will want to spend a few hundred more than they need, whatever their line of business is. ALL procurement departments are being told to make savings. If you tell them you can do it for a lot less, they're not going to ignore you.

Sound like the wc is a 'back to the wall' 's' trap syphonic pan with concealed close coupled cistern which has been plastered and tiled over on the 83rd floor of a building with no car park and the elavator is broke!!!

Not a bad price!
:hurray:

For the above scenario I'd recommend the latest in bucket flushing technology, available in a range of colours and featuring a sporty metal handle.

Parts ÂŁ1
Labour ÂŁ995 + VAT

I wouldn't like to swap a toilet in the place I used to work at, there was poo all over the cubicle door, seat and floors.

I heard one guy got it all over his hand from a roll of toilet paper, some animal had used it on himself while still attached to the roll and then carefuly wound it back up onto the roll and put it back in the holder.

Nice!

I don't think the price is dodgy just very expensive. The customer has been given a price for the job and now has the choice whether to pay that amount or call in another company or individual, get another price.

This would be a dodgy price if the customer had been quoted ÂŁ300 and then presented a bill for ÂŁ800.

After all you can quote a ridiculous (as in this case) for a job if you get it your on a winner, if you don't then you probably didn't want the job.

The parts will be charged at list and the labour may be justified. Because you can swap a pan in under an hour doesn't mean you can do them all in that time.
Companies are usually charged premium rates as they haven't a clue.

Maybe they dont want the job, so they put a high price in and if they get it they make a killing, what my old firm used to do

Total 814.20 inc VAT i am in the wrong line of work screw renewables i want to fit toilets

Ridiculous, sorry im just going to sum it up, why dont they have there boiler changed for that price included!!, exactly how gQuigley67 +watertight say it i cant imagine how ÂŁ800 can even be thought for changing a toilet straight swap, give a quote in yourself.

thats just not right, surely they are doing more than swap it for the money, its an hours job if that, 400 quid an hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to dodgy price in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all, Happy new year! Hope this is OK in this part of the forum. Been a plumber for about 12 years now, mostly commercial stuff with some...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the...
Replies
Views
Back