Discuss Do your own tiling work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i occasionally brick up chimneys, and old balanced flue holes. I also plaster over the balanced flue holes internally but its just a bit of rough plastering usually as the boiler/pipes will cover it anyway. I do alot of electrics in my work as i'm sure most of you do, its part of our trade and i hate the fact that we are now being forced into either subbing to sparks or paying for a course(i know this is not up scotland yet but only a matter of time) we are taught about electrics as part of our apprenticeship, i also have a good bit of theory knowledge of electrics through my HNC Construction course. I know my limits when it comes to electrics and sub out anything that is outwith my abilities. I do a bit of basic joinery work and I'm quite confident in doing joinery but then again my mate is a joiner so i prefer to sub the work out to him as he passes work my way, I done a 6 monthn joinery course and was quite good at it

oh and btw I don't know any tilers, but then again dont get many bathrooms, will keep you in mind mate when i need one.

One things for sure tiling is a lot more interesting than plumbing. 100 replies on a tiling thread in the plumbing forum?! Me personally, I can't stand tiling. Bloody nightmare job. Id much sooner get a tiler in, make a bit on him being there and then I get to drink a cup of tea and watch him grout!

One things for sure tiling is a lot more interesting than plumbing. 100 replies on a tiling thread in the plumbing forum?! Me personally, I can't stand tiling. Bloody nightmare job. Id much sooner get a tiler in, make a bit on him being there and then I get to drink a cup of tea and watch him grout!

I'll get my coat :D

ha ha been good to get some info and advice regarding tiling from plumbers. It's not a must have qualification for plumbers but good to hear some guys like to take advantage of sticking a few extra quid in their pocket. Considering I have done no tiling at all and the cost of a course is reasonably cheap it's worth doing especially when looking at costs for sparky qualifications.

The money spent learning can be made back quickly.

I'm no expert but the basics of tiling (adhesive, grout etc) are fairly straight forward. It's the setting out, measuring up etc that's harder.

Bit like most trades really!

It's just like anything we do a few minutes having a think about something and setting out can save hours in the long run.

Armyash, you might find yourself getting more work and money from tiling than plumbing. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance.

I'm no expert but the basics of tiling (adhesive, grout etc) are fairly straight forward. It's the setting out, measuring up etc that's harder.

Bit like most trades really!

If only! Theres no such thing as basic Tiling!

I wonder how many of these Handy men chaps are Usuing Pva as a bonding agent using tubbed gear in wet areas or tubbed gear for large format Tiles not water proofing wet areas and not sealing porcelain Tiling onto fresh plaster? or does none of this count in BASIC bathroom tiling.

Sooner this country takes a lead from countrys like Norway or Canada and tightens up regs the better.

One of the biggest benefits in my eyes of serving a traditional apprenticeship versus say a 6 week course is your taught discipline and to have respect for TRADESMEN in general and there respective trades.

I wouldnt let say my mechanic near my boiler because its a "SIMMILAR" trade or discipline.

Armyash, you might find yourself getting more work and money from tiling than plumbing. All the tilers I know are fully booked months in advance.

I'm hearing that a lot lately, I'm hoping plumbing works out but gaining other qualifications too...just in case :)

If only! Theres no such thing as basic Tiling!

I wonder how many of these Handy men chaps are Usuing Pva as a bonding agent using tubbed gear in wet areas or tubbed gear for large format Tiles not water proofing wet areas and not sealing porcelain Tiling onto fresh plaster? or does none of this count in BASIC bathroom tiling.

Sooner this country takes a lead from countrys like Norway or Canada and tightens up regs the better.

One of the biggest benefits in my eyes of serving a traditional apprenticeship versus say a 6 week course is your taught discipline and to have respect for TRADESMEN in general and there respective trades.

I wouldnt let say my mechanic near my boiler because its a "SIMMILAR" trade or discipline.

I didn't mean any offence. I was more along the lines of simple splash backs and the basis of putting tiles on the wall straight, etc is basic and easy. It's the things you've pointed out that make it more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do your own tiling work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is...
Replies
Views
My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take...
Replies
Views
Back