Search the forum,

Discuss Custard nearly had me there! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkOil

Thought I'd share this.
My usual practice is to always fire a boiler up before servicing it, sometimes I forget, sometimes it's chugging away merrily when I turn up. Today I forgot, and after asking if the boiler is working fine to which the reply was "yes", I found an extremely noisy fuel pump, and the pressure at 110 not 145 and couldn't adjust!!
I ask the custard if its been doing that before, he tries pulling a fast one and says "oh it wasn't doing that before"
Erm I think it was you fibbing little hound, after a bit of a chat, he coughs up, and now has a near silent boiler.
Lesson for today has been learnt!

I get this as well Mark, do a routine service on a Saniflo then get the blame for all sorts, I`ve reached the point where I ask are you sure? once then tell them it`s not possible you must be mistaken! Surprising most back down and change the subject.

Don't want the baffles heated up, so just a few seconds on to let the boiler go through it's sequence until it fires up & runs. That way I know if it isn't working or making any strange noises.
Point out the noise or any fault to the customer before you start.

At the end of the day, servicing a boiler won't make make a pump noisy if it is fine before, only thing that sometimes gets caused by a service is the adjustment screw leaking on danfoss pumps when you touch them, and cust gets charged anyway.

Also take photos with your phone camera of any flaws of boiler inside or outside & if the customer seems really dodgy then make a video of any noise issue. Will be fun some day if you get an idiot suddenly coming back to you saying it was perfect before you started.

Last edited:
I usually do run it for a few mins and point stuff out, but it's always when you forget that things like this happen lol.
I keep an assortment of spare coil stems and pressure adjustment screws, I've been caught out before by then pesky screws!

Anything questionable that I find I show the custard before I change it,

At the end of the day, servicing a boiler won't make make a pump noisy if it is fine before, only thing that sometimes gets caused by a service is the adjustment screw leaking on danfoss pumps when you touch them, and cust gets charged anyway.
Had very same thing today!

In thinking about it, servicing a boiler properly & carefully, can cause a working part to fail very easily!
I have had oil pumps that were on a burner & working perfectly when I arrived. After I put an oil gauge with manifold on to check the oil pressure then the pump failed totally. Very embarrassing & obviously the pumps must have been hanging by a thread inside & just adding a manifold meant the pumps died. Hard to explain to customer.

I always tell them that the whole point of a service is to find anything that might fail before it actually does. They tend yo agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Custard nearly had me there! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
An engineer attended a boiler in my mothers house yesterday and he tried to convince me that turning off the boiler and turning it back on again was likely to blow the PCB. He also claimed that sometimes heating the relays on the PCB would make it work again. I spent 20 years as a field service...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the central heating but not for hot water and sometimes the other way round, so it's probably just luck as to when it does decide to work[?]. When there's...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock