Search the forum,

Discuss Covering ones back/Why I hate working on run down properties in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leon

Here is a copy of an email I sent recently, title of this thread explains why.
posting this because:
- might be of use to some new starters, I am one myself, but I have had the privelage of some very (very very!) good teachers.
- maybe some of the more experienced guys here can give me some pointers too:)

Warning, text heavy! [italics] are edits for the purpose of posting here.

Hi [property management company x], Re [flat y]
Sorry in advance for the essay below but I am not great at concise... and this property is complicated due to an apparent history of insufficient maintenance.

I have fixed the leaking elbow (attached before ->attached after pics), this involved making a cut on a live mains pipe (pipe splitting already so freezing could cause more problems than it solves) hence it was necessary to use an isolation valve. All the connections I have made (both sides of iso valve, both sides of new elbow and top compression joint on the stopcock) are now sound.

However... after getting this done I could still hear dripping so investigated as far as I could, time and equipment to hand allowing (this being way after all the merchants [as the tenants would only let me visit after hours] are closed so no option of rectifying further faults spotted at this time).

1. URGENT The attached pic "leak 2..." is of the pipe downstream of the stopcock. As you can see this is leaking, and has obviously had an inadequate repair done on it (tenant advised this was probably done years ago). In order to fix this fault, which is currently causing more damage to the property beneath, more floorboard needs to come up and access will still be difficult - as much as I wanted to fix this at the time, I did not have the tools or materials to do so with me (as this fault was not known about, and the merchants were shut at this point). The only way I could have stopped this leak would have been to cut off the water supply to the flat below until this can be fixed (which I believe is actually illegal, as it would leave them without drinking water or flushing toilets).

2. URGENT There is a very slow leak on the middle comp joint of the T piece to the left (upstream) which was not apparent before due to the larger leak. Fixing this will involve another live cut unless a stopcock can be fitted; either by Southern Water outside the property, which is possibly complicated as discussed with [Mr x, tenant has issues with the water company] on the phone this evening, or inside the property where the main enters the building, which could involve a fair amount of exploratory floorboard lifting then a live cut.

3. I advise the stopcock to the next property is replaced as it is old and worn, there was a slow leak from the spindle which I stopped by tightening the packing gland nut. A new one would be the best course of action, ideally placed in the property which it serves rather than where it now is.

4. Tenant reported a sodden wet floorboard in the center of the room which could be indicative of yet another leak, more exploration would be required to verify/rectify this.

Again sorry for the length of this email, but I believe it is best to give you all the info I have so you can discuss with the landlord/s and decide on the next course of action.

Leon

What do yau all think? Any comments/constructive critisism welcome:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Covering ones back/Why I hate working on run down properties in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock