Search the forum,

Discuss Could water be convecting from the hot water tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a sealed heating system with a Flowmaster Titan Plastech tank in the garage. The hot water pipe exiting from the top of the tank is hot to touch all the way up until it enters the house even when hot water is not being drawn. The pipe has a horizontal dog-leg before it is routed vertically. There is insulation in the garage but I assume that this will stop once the pipe enters the house. Water from the tank is pretty tepid after about 3pm (when it's hot in the morning and unused in the day). Do you think I might be loosing a lot of heat in the pipework from convection? If so, is there a way to reduce this effect - a check valve maybe?

If you have a secondary circulation system to reduce the time between opening a hot tap and hot water coming out of it, this could cause the symptoms you have. See if there is a circulation pump, probably near the hot water cylinder. If so then:

a. This may be on a timer which you could re-set to more suitable operating hours.
b. It is even more important that all pipework, whether in the garage or the house, is properly insulated.

Looking around, there's just a single circulator pump and it is off until the boiler kicks in. I've attached a photo of the top of the tank (and removed the insulation that's usually wrapped around the tap).

Attachments

• blr3.jpg
    blr3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
Great to get so many replies so quickly. I wondered - should it always be hot? I guess what I'm trying to understand is why the pipe is good and hot all the way up to the garage roof (1.5m...2m maybe) even if no hot water is being used, the heating is turned off and no other pump is running. I'm assuming that it is possible for hot water to continuously rise up under convection if there's nothing to stop it leaving the tank. Is that possible? I did wonder if it might be a hot water leak, but there's no sign of that. So I'm wondering if a hot exit pipe is normal (when no water is being drawn) and whether there is anything that can be done to reduce the heat loss (other than insulation since I can't get at the pipe once it's inside the house).

There has to be a certain amount of thermal transfer , and we dont know the size and temp of the cylinder .
True, but if the pipe is actually hot and not just warmer than the cold room, this seems unusual, given that the OP looks to have the usual 450mm horizontal run.
OP: how long is that horizontal run? I had a similar problem when I bought my own house. Didn't want to move the vertical pipe or the cylinder at the time, so made the horizontal section longer by replacing it with one with two bends in the horizontal plane and... it worked. But we also need to see the other pipes attached to that cylinder to comment further.

Do you think I might be loosing a lot of heat in the pipework from convection?
Convection driving hot water around the secondary loop through a stationary pump? Doesn't seem likely to me.

My guess is that you have a hot-water leak somewhere. Don't draw any water and monitor the water meter. Wait for an hour after drawing any hot water and trace the hot pipe. It will be warm up to the leak and cooler after it.

You could rule out convection-driven circulation around the secondary loop by putting an isolation valve (if there isn't one already present) in the return just before it gets back to the cylinder.
[automerge]1572298214[/automerge]
There has to be a certain amount of thermal transfer , and we dont know the size and temp of the cylinder .
True, but the OP told us that the hold time of the cylinder was less than 12 hours, which is shorter IMO than can be accounted for by heat loss by conduction in the absence of flow.

Last edited:
True, but the OP told us that the hold time of the cylinder was less than 12 hours, which is shorter IMO than can be accounted for by heat loss by conduction in the absence of flow.

Dependant upon how much of the water in the cylinder has been heated.

Also, might have missed it, but no mention from op with regard to secondary return.

Hot draw off pipe from unvented cylinders should always be dropped downwards before ever rising so to completely prevent hot water rising into the colder water in the rest of pipe run

Makes sense really when you think about it.

Yes it seems so obvious, but I rarely see other plumbers doing it properly.
Only requires the hot draw off to be dropped a little to prevent hot water rising.
Same exactly with the pumped circuits on some boilers.
Doesn't matter if pipes are insulated, the hot water will continually slowly rise out of cylinder

Hi there - to try and address all the questions above... Tank is 210L and water is set to 55deg. Yes, the horizontal pipe section is bang-on 45cm. Some more pipework pics are attached. Thanks for all the feedback BTW - lots of food for thought - and I hadn't considered the possibility of checking for leaks using the water meter. Another thing I might try is shutting off the tap at the top of the tank (with everything turned off) and seeing what the water temp is like in the afternoon. It's possible that the losses are not as much as I think they are. If it's not a leak, then perhaps I need to consider a bend or drop in the pipe where the horizontal section is currently. But - yeah - I can also see the point that this is perhaps what the 45cm section is there for already.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 7
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 10

Reply to Could water be convecting from the hot water tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock