Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss contract work tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've got some subby work coming up and was after some tips for dealing with contractor and pit falls to look out for. Any help?

Make sure before you start you agree your pay and payment terms in writing or email and don't let payment terms slip.

As wet dream said, also make sure you've got the relevant insurance cover

Get things signed off as complete ASAP!

Breakages and theft your probs till signed off.

My advice would be no matter how busy you get with the contracting don't ignore your own work completely. And don't forget any regular customer base you already have.

My advice would be no matter how busy you get with the contracting don't ignore your own work completely. And don't forget any regular customer base you already have.

Spot on advice always being a subbie never built up much of a customer base,hence still grafting my balls off in my mid 40's.Seen some pretty shocking plumbers earning a better living than me.If I could turn back the clock 20 years I would heed this advice

Thanks for the info lads. I have 2 or 3 jobs lined up with him but also some domestic jobs coming up too so just need to fit them in around each other. I spoke to an accountant when I set up and he got me my cis reg and I think with my insurance I can only do 20% commercial but will check it about subbing. Do I take into account the 20% deduction from contractor in my prices or is that just an unfortunate loss as it were?

20 cis deductions will go towards your tax bill at the end of the year (just class it as a bit of your end of year tax bill being pre paid in a way)

Just make sure you're getting cis statements if they are making deductions. Have heard of a few companies not paying the contractor or HMRC and then going bust. Not sure what happens to tax liabilities in this case, but best to have a paper trail.

As above and make sure your paperwork is tight,some places will also keep a percentage as a retainer for 12 months so find out about this aswell.

As someone who uses subbies a lot here are some tips - communicate well, be honest if you think the time schedule or cost given to you is not enough, don't agree to do any jobs that you are not really capable of. Nothing beats a bit of honesty, and when it comes to payment, a good rapport with the contractor should see you are paid promptly.

I would be cautious ( or tentative ) in dealing with a builder that has 2 or 3 jobs for you all at once.

I wouldn't say no to the work on the face of it but i would certainly ensure that payment schedules are kept to as agreed.
It works both ways - you have to hold up your end of the bargain as well as the builder.
There's a lot of your money tied up in 2 or 3 jobs, and if he wants to use you as a bank, you will be the one out of pocket.

Been there and done that - and lost a small fortune putting too many eggs in one basket.
Just make sure the money you are owed will be paid on time.

As this is a new builder to you. I would find out who used to do his plumbing, and find out why he isn't doing it now.

he maybe too busy, or has fallen out, or has not been paid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to contract work tips? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock