Discuss connection to a vitrina (ice cream display case) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dolce80

I have a question regarding the connection of cooling pipes from an ice cream vitrina to the external aggregat, or motor that keeps it cool! sorry in advance, I am not a plumber by any means, so I am not sure of the technical terms but I will try to do my best

Long story short, we have a vitrina that was recently connected to an external aggregat, or motor.

We just found out today that the architect communicated the wrong sized pipes to the plumber. There are 2 pipes, one is 6mm and the other is 10mm but it should be 12mm.

They are copper pipes covered with a grey foam insulation.

We have consulted directly with the manufacturer but there are some discrepancies on what to do next. I would like to advice from seasoned plumbers!

To me it seems like "only" a 2mm difference. I should add, that the grey insulation is dripping a little and quite wet at the front of the store, where it is connected to the vitrina itself. There is an area of grey insulation missing, where the plumber had put black masking tape - I suspect this is why it is dripping - although the manufacturer says it is because the 10mm pipe was used and not the 12mm

Of course I am questioning the interests and in an effort to save a lot of time, money and stress, I would like to know how bad it would be to use a 10mm pipe instead of a 12mm one!? what could happen over time?

thanks in advance!

It is the cross sectional area of the pipe that is important, in this context, rather than the diameter. The cross sectional area is proportional to the square of the diameter. The square of 10 is 100 whereas the square of 12 is 144. Therefore a 12 mm pipe will have nearly half as much capacity again as a 10 mm pipe!

No cross sectional area is PI r2 not d2

10mm = 0.0000785m2
12mm =0.000113m2

The condensation is caused by the warm moist air coming into contact with the cold pipe. Insulate and wrap in silver foil tape to make it vapour tight. Boosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to connection to a vitrina (ice cream display case) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
HI Plumbers, I need some advice on our chased-in pipes. We had plumbers tell us an array of different things. Questions: 1) Do copper pipes...
Replies
Views
Back