Discuss Connecting flexible tap tails to isolation valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Low lead content? I didn't think brass contained lead either, but apparently it can...

A small amount of lead improves the properties of brass significantly:

Aviva Metals

I believe, but am not sure, that the reason old taps and float valves have much longer working lives than modern ones is that they were made from leaded-brass.

Last edited:
Even if it did it would hardly be if any significant amount to be a concern.
Think of all the lead mains still in use.
I used to think that about lead soldered joints. Apparently the fact that the lead is in contact with copper means electroytic action can take place and then lead is released. Being sceptical though, I wonder, if that's the case, whether it wouldn't result in joint failure, which is doesn't seem to.
However, bear in mind all plumbing work has to comply with the Water Regulations by law, and, by law, that means fittings should be suited for drinking water. I'm not sure, therefore, that I can advise anyone should use a radiator tail on drinking water with a clear conscience.

Low lead content? I didn't think brass contained lead either, but apparently it can...

Brass has to contain lead to be classified as Brass.

The lead content improves the workability of brass. More lead = longer tool life and faster machining = lower cost of production. :oops:

Currently, unlike much of the rest of the civilised world, Britain does not require its brassware to be constructed of low lead brass. Low lead brass is, if memory serves, is around 2%. Most brass fitting we import are more like 10% cos they are cheaper. In California they have legislated for 0.2% (I think) but its bl00dy expensive to use and produce with so, they are so concerned about citizen health, they've changed the test to see how much lead leaches into the water. Hell why not, it's only brain damage! :rolleyes:

The rest of the world has been studying this for years. We are a good 25 years behind. In the far east they discovered years ago that the lead from solder posed more of a hazard to public health than fittings - by an order of magnitude! That is why much of the far east is going towards solely using non permeable plastic.

HTH

I was thinking of the Screwfix catalogue that lists a number of Pegler fittings as being 'low lead contact' (sic.). When I Googled Pegler "low lead" brass, I got a link to a Tectite 1/4 turn valve. It is made of CW625N-DW brass which (Google again) is apparently 1.2-1.5% lead.

I know an old plumber who insists lead-free solder is far too brittle to be of any use whatsoever outside a college environment and will always cause leaks. This is the same person who once spent several hours trying to convince a friend of mine that gravity and magnetism were the same thing... thinking of it, I think I might stop using lead even on heating systems.

Reply to Connecting flexible tap tails to isolation valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a problem with my flexible pipes on my sink. They need replacing but we are going on holiday so won't be able to get this done till we...
Replies
Views
I looked around the forms but didn't find what I was looking for apologies if this has been asked here before. My new tap tails seems to be the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have bought a new tap for my kitchen as the old one is leaking and not working very well even after changing the cartridge. The current...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Wish I had X-ray vision. My customer has an old concealed shower valve, with a concealed shower hose connection. There is a dribble from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock