Search the forum,

Discuss Changing to tap that has flexible tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I have bought a new tap for my kitchen as the old one is leaking and not working very well even after changing the cartridge. The current tap is connected directly by copper pipes but the new tap I've got has flexible tails.

My plan to change the tap is:
  1. Note which pipe is hot/cold
  2. Turn off the isolation valves for both hot and cold pipes (there are isolation valves already fitted)
  3. Cut the 15mm pipe - the tails are pretty long so should be fine for length as they will reach easily
  4. Remove the tap (undo the bolt keeping it on and then remove)
  5. Put in the 15mm to 3/8" reduction adapters I've got, as the tap is a Grohe with the smaller connectors
  6. Secure the new tap to the sink
  7. Connect the tails to the 3/8" adapter making sure there are no kinks or twists
Does this seem reasonable? I'm a novice DIYer but after watching some YouTube videos it seems pretty straight-forward but I want to make sure I'm not missing something that isn't going to work. I'll attach some photos of the existing pipework and the new tails.

One question I have is that the pipework looks kind of corroded - probably from water running down from where the tap hasn't been sealed properly? Does that pipework look like it would need replacing in any way?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_3259.jpeg
    IMG_3259.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 19
Yep you will have to file the ends of the tube tho after you have cut them square so you can get the fittings on as hacksawing leaves a burr
And you might need to file the solder marks eg the silver bits

as for the green get some hot soapy water with a Brillo pad and give them a clean

Yep that sounds like a good plan, just think about how much length you need to leave on the 15mm copper pipe for the flexi pipes to sit appropriately.

Re the corrosion, it looks like its from flux that wasn't cleaned off properly after soldering was done. I'd give them a wipe down and maybe a buff with some wire wool if you want to see the condition of the pipe. I doubt it will need changing though.

Reply to Changing to tap that has flexible tails in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock