Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Water Problem in Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

olders

Hi.

Am hoping somebody here can help me determine the likely cause of my problem. Let me explain:

My shower has recently stopped working properly, having worked perfectly for years. It is a stand alone shower (as opposed to being fed from bath taps or the like) with a rain head and a hand held 'normal' head on a flexible hose.

I believe it is pumped rather than purely gravity fed as when you turn the shower on, you can hear a slight electrical motor/pump type whirring. Although I am not sure where this pump is located or how to access it. Neither the cold water tank in the loft or the hot water tank (by the boiler) is anywhere near the location of the shower. There are no obvious access hatches (fully tiled).

Up until recently everything has been working fine; two long showers in succession and we ran out of hot water (as one would expect) but cold water pressure was always very good. A couple of months ago, a strange thing happened whereby towards the end of the second successive shower the cold water supply seemed to stop, the water pressure faded away (and was very hot) before all water flow ceased (after perhaps 10/15 secs).

If the water was left off for a couple of minutes, some flow returned (slightly warmer than usual temp but acceptable) and then shortly all flow stopped again. If it was left for a longer while (say 10 mins or so - although never actually timed this) everything returned to normal.

In true "head in the sand" ostrich fashion we simply had quicker showers so that we never got to the 'no water' stage!

The problem has now intensified however, effectively rendering the shower useless....

Now, when we turn the shower on, it runs normally for about 20/30 secs, then the pressure drops and it gets very hot - temp set to its usual position. If you turn it to fully cold, pressure drops to not much more than a trickle (and is lukewarm). You can just about adjust the mixer so that cold and hot are balanced at a usable temp (although only tiny, tiny movements are possible - if you over do it, proper pressure is returned but basically only hot water) however the water flow is so little that it is effectively impossible to shower in.

From my very limited knowledge of these things, it seems to be as if we have a dual pumped shower and for some reason the cold water supply to the pump has dropped to such a small amount that the auto balancing valve (or what ever it is called!) is not able to provide a small enough amount of hot water to keep it balanced, so it shuts off.

Cold water pressure in all other parts of the house (and bathroom) is absolutely fine, no changes whatsoever.

Also, we have not had any changes or work done to any of the plumbing system recently. Essentially nothing has changed except the operation of the shower as described above.

So why has the cold water supply to the shower dropped so dramatically? Indeed, why does it work normally for the first 10 secs or so and then the cold pressure drops?

At first I suspected the pump had failed but if this was the case, why would the hot supply pressure still be strong and normal....?

Could it be an airlock in the cold supply - but how would this have come about if the system hadn't been touched? And again, why would it work normally to start with and then drop off after 10 secs....?

Confused (and getting smelly!). Please help!!

Cheers!

P.S. Apologies if this issue has been addressed previously - I had a good search through the forum archive before posting but couldn't find anything that seemed to have exactly the same symptoms....

It will help if you tell the folks on here what shower exactly you have? Make, model, manufacturer, etc.
Without knowing what shower you have, my limited experience points to a faulty shower valve, and not a cold water pressure issue per se. Only guessing, but that'll be my first point of call.
Change the shower and avoid the smells, your other half (who showers now at the gym), may soon ban you from entering the bedroom

Hi.

it is a Matki Showering Elixir EX-5 Thermostatic Shower Valve

look forward to hearing any thoughts as to how to identify and fix the problem!

many thanks!

my first instinct would be to locate the pump (should be in the airing cupboard but could be in the loft and hopefully not under the bath) then check its filters and also remove the shower and check the filters there.

It is a thermostatic shower so if the flow on one side slows or stops (cold side by the sound of it for you) the shower will slow or stop the other side to prevent scalding you with only hot water

Thanks for your replies.

As per my earlier reply, it is a Matki Elixir EX5 Thermostatic Shower Valve.

many pictures on Internet but if it helps, various pictures attached:

Cheers.

Apologies.

can't seem to post any pictures.

posts keep getting denied, saying URL links aren't allowed for new posters or something.

as said though, many pictures / manuals etc on the internet.

cheers.

Thanks plumbstar tom.

If I can find the pump, presumably I need to turn off water before I check filters?

is it the same for the filters in the shower mixer unit itself?

plumbstars answer is there, but i think your header tank ran out of cold supply and you now have an air lock in the feed pipe.
be careful as you might burn out the motor running it dry

Redsaw.

quite possible that the header tank ran dry. Long story - won't bother with details!

If there was an airlock, why would it run at full pressure got the first 10/15 secs or so?

how do I go about clearing an air lock?

thanks!

Apologies.

can't seem to post any pictures.

posts keep getting denied, saying URL links aren't allowed for new posters or something.

as said though, many pictures / manuals etc on the internet.

cheers.

Email your picture to [email protected].

We'll put it on this thread for you.

ii would also check the ballvalve in the tank as it seems the tank isnt filling as fast as it used to causing the pump to empty the tank youll probably find some grrit in the orifice

ii would also check the ballvalve in the tank as it seems the tank isnt filling as fast as it used to causing the pump to empty the tank youll probably find some grrit in the orifice

Ok, so I have checked the ball valve. All working fine but I serviced it anyway as I was up there.

suspect the longer term issue with the shower running out of cold water after two long showers is to do with a reduction in the 'mains' (private bore hole actually) water pressure meaning the ank takes longer to fill than ideal.

kind of stuck with that..... Until the pressure vessel needs replacing....

plumbstars answer is there, but i think your header tank ran out of cold supply and you now have an air lock in the feed pipe.
be careful as you might burn out the motor running it dry

Redsaw.

many thanks for this thought.... Question...... If I had an air lock in the feed supply, would it be the case that I would have no cold water supply to the shower or would it just get a reduced supply?

Ok. More help needed!

i have located the pump and checked all the filters there - no problem. Clean as a whistle. No debris or limescale build up at all.

i have taken apart the shower mixer (flow control valve, thermostatic valve, both non-return valves / filters) all of that was again absolutely clear. No blockages and no limescale build up at all.

nobody has answered my question about an airlock's ability to cause a flow restriction as opposed to a full blockage? Or how to confirm the presence of or clear an airlock (going to be very difficult to get a mains pressure hose on to the cold supply to the shower pump!), however my guess is that if there was an airlock, flow would be cut off completely not just partially - so it probably isn't this.

I have been trying to think of why would the shower run at full and normal pressure for the first 15/20 secs or so, before flow is restricted?

Could this be because the flow from the hot inlet is actually cold to begin with (same as cold inlet - no temp difference) and therefore the thermostatic valve lets it operate at full pressure, however as hot water from the tank starts to reach the mixer, a temp imbalance is created and therefore hot flow is restricted to try and match the flow from the cold side?

If, so the problem seems to be almost certainly a lower than usual cold supply flow, probably from the tank to the pump.

Or perhaps the cold side of the pump is not working (can the cold side fail independently of the hot? Suspect not but maybe.... It is a Stuart turner Monsoon 2bar twin pump - the impeller looks fine on the cold side).

so what could be causing the restricted cold water flow? Particularly bearing in mind that we have not noticed any reduction in water pressure from any other outlet in the house that coincides time wise with the loss of pressure to the shower.

Which one of you plumbing gurus out there has an idea? I am stumped and need your help!

many thanks!

8B6C7CF8-32DD-4347-918A-4491B7A430C1.jpg16B7CF25-F858-41D4-82D7-6D6339D61B6D.jpg6473CC3C-DDCA-42DC-BBF2-86D665CE08C0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Further update.

the cold water pressure to the inlet side of the pump is absolutely fine. Quite strong and full bore flow.

suggestions as to what to do next......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Water Problem in Shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock