Discuss cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
10mm microbore drops down to the rad in question. Microbore behind 'dot and dab' plasterboard.
Could i force mains water up the return pipe via the bleed valve and 'hope' the blockage shifts?

At the start of my troubles I took off the rad and attached a hose to the flow valve, connected to the outside tap ( but any mains tap will do ). Then I opened the valve and opened the outside tap. The mains pressure should force water into the pipework and hopefully shift the blockage.
I then repeated the process for the return valve.
BUT only run the mains for 5-10 seconds or it will back-fill the F + E tank ( you will know this because water will start coming out of the overflow!!! )
Also, it can be fiddly trying to attach a hose to the valves but worth persevering.
It might clear the blockage.
Good luck.

Pump switched off.
Closed both valves on rad and removed the rad in question. Opened flow valve and get a good flow of water.
Open lockshield valve and only a trickle, there is nothing wrong with the valve as i have actually tried it on another rad when i fitted a TRV.
I'm just convinced now that it is a blockage.

sounds like it mate, maybe force mains pressure back up

Microbore is well known for being soft and getting squashed easily. It is also prone to blockage being of narrow bore.
I wonder if there is a squashed bit behind the dot and dab?

Its like a garden hose being kinked. Water may well flow through, but will be unable to reach top flow rate.

if its worked before and no works been done its unliekly to have become kinked

Ok, so today i have traced as much of the pipework as possible by taking up floorboards etc....
i cannot find any kinks. squashed bits. It goes 22mm down to 15mm down again to 10mm for about the last 2 metres.
I have taken off the rad in question and connected a washing machine hose between the flow and return...opened both valves, turned on heating briefly to check and now i have a good flow and the washing machine pipe is getting hot!!!
Why dont i get this when i connect the rad back up???????????????????????????????????????????????

maybe a restriction in the radiator? take it outside and put your garden hose on it and flush it out

Ok, so today i have traced as much of the pipework as possible by taking up floorboards etc....
i cannot find any kinks. squashed bits. It goes 22mm down to 15mm down again to 10mm for about the last 2 metres.
I have taken off the rad in question and connected a washing machine hose between the flow and return...opened both valves, turned on heating briefly to check and now i have a good flow and the washing machine pipe is getting hot!!!
Why dont i get this when i connect the rad back up???????????????????????????????????????????????

take rad outside and flush it out

must be greater resistance, the system needs balancing

when rad off did you open both valves for split second to check they both run well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock