Discuss Cast Iron Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Veggie Dave

Ever had one of those days, where something simple manages to beat you?

I went to install a couple of cast iron radiators today but failed miserably in removing the old fittings. The original bush in the radiator appears to be welded in place and the shank with the compression fitting to attach to the valve is too deep for my tool to be able to engage the internal pins, so I can't even remove that.

A pro refurb company are supposed to be phoning me back but haven't. When I've installed old cast iron radiators in the past they've always been refurb'd - au naturel is a new experience for me.

Any advice gratefully received...

radiator 3.jpgradiator 2.jpg

Hacksaw through it.

I hacksawed one once and now just do the tighten old valve on.

Sadly I don't have the old valves - I did ask but there's no way to get hold of them.

Hacksaw? Hmm, you have more guts than me. ;) If I knew I could repair any damage caused by doing this if it went wrong then I'd give it a go, but I don't so I daren't. ;)

You could possibly apply some heat to it from a blow torch to see if that helps loosen it up?

You could possibly apply some heat to it from a blow torch to see if that helps loosen it up?

I considered this but the bushes seem to be welded in place, or sealed with something that hardens (I wondered if someone had got the JB Weld out at some point in the past) so I don't want to just steam in with heat and breaker bars.

Agree, cut through the nut opposite sides with a junior hacksaw with brand new blade & split it off, then heat with a torch & use grips with long handles. Any old rad valve might fit that nut though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've spotted this rust patch on the outside of a cast iron radiator in the house. There's no sign of any water leaking from it on the floor...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views
Hello, We were due to have an air source heat pump installed on a grant scheme on Monday, with radiator size upgrade, but retrofitting using the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping to gain some advice following encountering several issues which I'm struggling to determine the magnitude of in my central...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock