Discuss Can you sign off an installation done by a non-GSR plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The average guy spends a lot of time (sometimes years) and money to earn their gas safe ticket so if some fly by night comes along and says "I`ll give you £x to sign my work off" that in my book is just plain wrong and dangerous to anybody that lives in the same street.
So money then?

If it is legal to do so. He surely just needs to follow the regs?

(I still haven't at this point checked myself so I'm not saying it is - I'm asking).

Seems to me it's incredibly frowned upon but legal perhaps.

As a GSR can be fined for cutting corners too.

But perhaps there does need to be sent pressure on Gas Safe from you lot to get them to make some changes?

So the thread is a bit misleading maybe. Seem to have got a bit roudy against some that suggest this. I'll clear up the thread a bit (and have done a couple of posts already).

What exactly are the rules?
Any gas install needs checking and making sure it safe, and anyone can install anything in there own home but as soon as you start selling services you need to be registered

Can your apprentice run pipe and hang the boiler, as long as you check it as you go?
Yes he can, like the old timer used to say anyone can run a gas pipe upto the last foot where it connection to the gas line, and tested afterwards

Can you actually sign off somebody else fully doing it, as long as you do the checks? yes but anything goes wrong its your bum on the line

Are the couple of articles linked to just down to it going wrong? And if so, would a GSR plumber causing the same issue (i think the first link was the wrong flu was fitted?), Would he get a fine too?

im sure / hope he would know better / do the tests to make sure is safe and working as it should be

click to expand sorry

yes of course its "at your own risk". Its your registration on the line. But having checked with GS, its perfectly ok.

no one is saying its not ok to do it many wouldn't sign a gas install off from the joe public as they dont know how they work/ trust them (normally want more than its cost them to install it themselves to sign it off)

Seems to me it's incredibly frowned upon but legal perhaps.

As a GSR can be fined for cutting corners too.

But perhaps there does need to be sent pressure on Gas Safe from you lot to get them to make some changes?

sorry to say they wont change anything, got no bite

sorry to say they wont change anything, got no bite
It's a shame for the industry but members asking about it and being mentioned in a derogatory way for it shouldn't happen. Especially by staff on a forum.

I've cleared up the thread we can be professional if we disagree. It's fine to but be professional. :)

It's a shame for the industry but members asking about it and being mentioned in a derogatory way for it shouldn't happen. Especially by staff on a forum.

I've cleared up the thread we can be professional if we disagree. It's fine to but be professional. :)

its the same when someone asks which boiler or car etc is the best :D each have there own opinion and no 10 are the same

just have to keep it on the right track and friendly else it gets bogged down and of-topic

• Agree
Reactions: Dan
Personally I would never sign off anyone elses gas work outside of our business. My view is I've spent thousands on it (and am about to spend more on commercial tickets next month) so where is the incentive for my business to do this?

Like most things, people will only be fined if something dangerous comes to light... Not suggesting that makes it right though! Ultimately it's up to individual engineers as to what level of risk they are willing to take when taking work on.

I personally would not do it but i know engineers who do easy money for them i guess . cheers kop

I, (like so many others), have been told you can install but not commission a gas boiler and then get GSR to commission it.
And he checks everything and it's correct and safe, fair enough, in a perfect world; but as the whole world knows, this is not a perfect world.

As someone posted this above I would agree with them, just as I agree that there could be a "tick box" (Quote, Steve the plumber), to say it had been done by someone unregistered and it needed following up.

But it appears to me there is a gap in the middle.
It's a bit like a two trains leaving two separate stations traveling at different speeds, but they have to meet at another station inbetween to exchange passengers, but something is wrong with one of the trains and it falls short.
So who helps the passengers?

Considering both measures allow unscrupulous people in to make a fast buck with no regard to safety there is only one course of action IMHO.

I did have the view the unregistered could just do the water pipes; but how does the GSR know they have all been done properly; has the flue been done properly; has the boiler been secured to the wall properly, so many possibilities that the GSR will be blamed for.

Unless it was done by an apprentice while being watched by GSR, the work should only be done by a GSR; gas line, water pipes, heating pipes, cylinder, expansion vessel, only by GSR and they are confirmed as GSR at every job.

Time and money, yes, but what other options are there.

FYI, I know an unqualified someone who has installed unvented cylinders, he says "Nah it's fine, it's just a cylinder".

Give 'em an inch and they take a mile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you sign off an installation done by a non-GSR plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi new to the forum here and after some advise please. I have done a garage extension and need heating in the room. I am in a town house with no...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock