Search the forum,

Discuss Tee off primary Flow and Return in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi new to the forum here and after some advise please. I have done a garage extension and need heating in the room. I am in a town house with no Rads on the ground floor. (Underfloor heating).

My boiler (not combi) is downstairs, but megaflow tank is upstairs along with rads upstairs. I have had 2 plumbers come to quote but both with conflicting information.

One said they need to take up half the floor upstairs to get to the flow and return after the pump.

The other one said they can just Tee off the primary flow and return straight off the boiler and don't need to touch upstairs. Below is the exact quote I received.
My questions is- is tue below correct or a cowboy install? Thanks

We will arrive on site and drain the central heating circuits upstairs to the boiler hight.

We will tap into the flow and return primary pipeworks and install a new zone valve and a non return valve to the return pipework.

We will supply and fit X2 STELRAD VITA COMPACT 600X1100MM K2 RADIATOR.

We will run plastic pipework behind the skirting board to supply the radiator on the far wall.

We will chase some of the wall out which will be bonded post Installation ready to be decorated.

We will run the pipes in boxing and conceal in the garage using Insulation upon commission.

We will install a non return valve to the return pipework to prevent the system circulating around the return pipes.

We will supply and fit a Honeywell T4R wireless stat installing the receiver and three port in close proximity in the garage.

We will use the boiler wires to power these.
This system will work independently to the rest of the system but will trigger circulation to towel rails as does the rest of the installation.

What boiler do you have ?

Open vent I’m guessing so won’t work as it’s before the pump so no circulation unless there fitting a pump ?

Ask him how’s it going to work if it’s teed in before the pump I’m guessing he thinks there’s a pump in the boiler

Easiest solution is to move pump to be with boiler and then tee off after pump. Saves messing with upstairs.

I'm assuming it's a relatively new house, so will be a sealed system so doesn't matter if main pump is in airing cupboard or at boiler.

Easiest solution is to move pump to be with boiler and then tee off after pump. Saves messing with upstairs.

I'm assuming it's a relatively new house, so will be a sealed system so doesn't matter if main pump is in airing cupboard or at boiler.
Yes its a new build. I will ask how it will work by going before the pump and see what they come back with.

As usual on the shiternet you get half stories from people who don't understand, google what they think they know then discredit some tradesman or woman.
My reading of what you have written, and reading it i haven't a clue what is existing so i'm surmising, whoever looked at it and gave you a quote (too many words for i'll give you a radiator that works) kinda knows what they are looking at. (btw if it doesn't work don't pay them)
1/ You have a system boiler (look at the big white box on the wall and give us a clue what it says on the front) Not all boilers are equal.
2/ the way he is tapping in will give you seperate control of that garage room independant of the rest of the house (DON'T THINK EVERYONE DOING THIS LINE OF WORK IS A COWBOY RIPPING YOU OFF)
3/ Never trust anything on the internet. Its full of idiots who know everything about nothing including why should you trust anything i or others should say ;)
End of the day, if it works, and i'm 99% sure it will, pay him. If it doesn't work don't pay him until it does and no more than was quoted.

Last edited:
As usual on the shiternet you get half stories from people who don't understand, google what they think they know then discredit some tradesman or woman.
My reading of what you have written, and reading it i haven't a clue what is existing so i'm surmising, whoever looked at it and gave you a quote (too many words for i'll give you a radiator that works) kinda knows what they are looking at. (btw if it doesn't work don't pay them)
1/ You have a system boiler (look at the big white box on the wall and give us a clue what it says on the front) Not all boilers are equal.
2/ the way he is tapping in will give you seperate control of that garage room independant of the rest of the house (DON'T THINK EVERYONE DOING THIS LINE OF WORK IS A COWBOY RIPPING YOU OFF)
3/ Never trust anything on the internet. Its full of idiots who know everything about nothing including why should you trust anything i or others should say ;)
End of the day, if it works, and i'm 99% sure it will, pay him. If it doesn't work don't pay him until it does and no more than was quoted.
He’s already said what boiler he’s got, and it isn’t a system it’s a heat only. Vaillant 418 Sustain. If it was a system it’d be a 618!

Yes its a new build. I will ask how it will work by going before the pump and see what they come back with.
How did you go about heating the extension in your original post? I am trying to do something similar so please let me know where did they tee off pipe for downstairs? Is it affecting heating in your upstairs radiators?

Reply to Tee off primary Flow and Return in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock