Search the forum,

Discuss Can anyone look at these photos and give their opinion.....many thanks! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corine39

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can help. Apologies in advance for the long email, and if I have posted in the wrong place.

I rented out my 2 bed bungalow when I moved abroad 2 years ago. The current tenant has just left and I have appointed a new letting agent. The agent got one of their contractors in to go in and assess the property. The said it needed a full redecoration, carpet clean, and there were signs of damp under the bay window and a little in the dining room, which they would address by removing plaster, treating and replastering, but otherwise they felt the damp was not too bad.

I asked the letting agent to go and get another quote, and the second contractor came back saying they had found a major water leak under the timber floors. They could not gain access under the floors because of water problem and it would need to be pumped out to get a full report on the problem and damage to the floor timbers. They also said the laminate floor fitted around the property may need to be cut to do the report but the floor is water damaged from the moisture coming from underneath anyway. They submitted photos which I have attached and quoted to pump out the water cut into floor and compile a full photograph report and quotation which cost in the £150 plus vat. So I paid them the money, thinking to get the report then claim off my insurance. I told them this and told my insurer.

A few hours later, they came back with 'I've just had meeting with assessor and he says the floors may be saved and that our report will be full of detailed photos of all the damage and works required so might best to wait till full assessment has been done and then if need be use the report for the insurers'.

Yesterday they inform me 'Good news my men have removed mortar from drain removed down pipe cleared drain refitted drain pipe and re mortared around drain . I took it upon myself to do it as it was under £200 and if it rained again the floors would get flooded again . Now that problem is resolved we have refitted the section of floor . The next process is to dehumidify and heating under floors to dry out timbers treat timbers all done . Then obviously the redecoration.

I now started to feel as if they dont want me to get the insurers involved because they keep changing their opinion, or doing things without my consent.what was a major problem has become more minor, and all I can see they have done is unblocked a drain for £320 - £180 for removal of water pre investigation, £140 for clearing the drain. They tell me now all the laminate flooring needs replacing so this, as well as the cost of pumping out the water, and clearing of the drain would have likely made the claim worthwhile, yet they have gone ahead and done repairs already, making it now difficult to claim I feel.

So I asked them to clarify further what exactly they have done, and ex plain the photos and why was it, did they think that the first contractor didn't spot the damp flooring.

They came back with 'As you can see from the original photographs the floor was saturated with water and it was obvious there was underlying fault. We are unsure as to how the other contractor has missed this problem however I believe he is knocking off plaster etc to rectify problems that were being caused by the blocked drain that they have missed. Without the treatment of the timber floor it would rot.

I still feel this is all very vague, and feel they are evading any insurers getting involved, and am bemused why the other contractor didn't spot it. However that's not to say they haven't acted truthfully and honestly but I am just getting a bad feeling about it.

My question is, would any of you mind taking a look at the photos and seeing what you think. Or just what are your thoughts on any of this.

Many, many thanks for any help.

675w7s.jpg

2wocd93.jpg

2vakp6w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you not have any family over here that could visit and report back to you?

I would make make certain that anybody doing work will only get paid for work you approve in advance.

Am I right in thinking the problem was that the mortar was missing around a gully serving a rainwater downpipe thus causing the area under your ground floor to become flooded? It is very hard from your photographs to understand what is supposed to be going on.

Is the ground level correct both externally and below the suspended timber floor and are all air vents clear? It's not uncommon for careless workers to use the floor void as a dumping ground, thus raising the damp level in the walls and bridging the DPC, if there is one.

Rat activity can also raise the soil level.

Last edited:
I would point out firstly to them that you will not be paying for anymore work to be done with out your agreement then get a damp course firm like peter cox to do a indepenant report

You're assuming your insurers will cover you, they may not as the damage wasn't caused by a "definable event" but rather exacerbated by a lack of maintanance. The work carried out doesn't seem unreasonable or excessive however as suggested you should insist on a full report of the works required and the cost and insist they do not proceed with any future work without your approval, another week isn't going to make that much difference to the damage caused but the agency might be a bit keen to hurry things if they are guaranteeing you a monthly income whether the residence is occupied or not. Despite the quality of the photo IF that damp is the worst of it that doesn't look too bad tbh, yes the standing water looks serious but it 's been gathering for a while and the floor timbers don't look rotten although they maybe damp. The floor timbers will dry out, arguably they're exacerbating the truth by saying treatment is required or they will rot but you may want to have that treatment done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can anyone look at these photos and give their opinion.....many thanks! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock