Search the forum,

Discuss boiler installed above the stairs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys,

Been to look at a complete central heating install, its a tiny little flat and they want a combi installing, as space is limited the land lady has asked if the boiler can be installed on the piece of wall above the stair case/ on the staircase.

i cant seem to find anything in the regs about this not being allowed but then again i cant find anything saying it is allowed either.
if i did install it on the staircase wall you would need to place a step ladder on the staircase from one of the steps lean the ladder back onto the wall to get access for servicing/ cp12 etc,

space is very limiting in this flat so this is probably the only convinient place (for the tenant) to put it so it doesnt take up room elsewhere.

I dont really want to turn the job down as its for a good contact who has passed me lots of work in recent years.

Whats your oppinion guys????

The only issue is access, would you be happy changing heat exchanger etc from a step ladder on the stairs

filling loop can either go under the boiler at a height which is reachable without the need for a ladder but doesn not impeed head height restrictions. or i was planning on putting the filling loop in the kitchen (6 ft away) with a seperate pressure gauge.

i was also thinking of asking if the builders would be able to build a cupboard around the boiler with a little door cut into the living room wall so you could gain access from the side thus eliminating the ladder etc but not sure if that would be possible due to the stairs being steep, it might cause a problem with head clearances etc.

Honestly mate I'd laugh my "iso-valve" off!!! Then refuse to work on it!

Is it not possible to put the boiler somewhere accessible and alter the flue to suite? There seems to be an acceptance that all maintenance guys carry step ladders here ..lol ..... Not getting at you coz I've seen plenty stupidly placed boilers that defy logic as to whether the installer had contemplated maintenance! At least it seems like you are at least thinking about the appliances future accessibility :)

I've got a nice wee earner dropping a boiler planned for next week. It has been in for just over a year and developed a fault. Worcester guy wouldn't touch it because of where it is fitted.
14 ft ceilings, boiler 9ft up above a larder unit! Beauty. She is not pleased about having to move it but it was her idea and the guy just fitted it. I'm dropping it into the bottom of the larder unit if i can get the bloody thing down off the wall in one piece (30 cdi approx 50kg)
Think about who will follow you.

is there nothing in the regs about gas appliance and means of escape, as the stairs will be the only means of?.

You"ll alright Tamz slung a 42cdi on the wall the other day on me own, worst case stick a pillow behind to fall on :77:

is there nothing in the regs about gas appliance and means of escape, as the stairs will be the only means of?.

I think that's about them being under stairs. If it was to catch fire etc.

have had that before guy wanted boiler on the wall as high as possible told him no due to servicing and maintence, also replaced a boiler which was high up and would have required steps to work on it, ok from an installers point of view if he doesnt care about anyone else, like the aholes that dont install drain cocks

have had that before guy wanted boiler on the wall as high as possible told him no due to servicing and maintence, also replaced a boiler which was high up and would have required steps to work on it, ok from an installers point of view if he doesnt care about anyone else, like the aholes that dont install drain cocks

hahaha or the ones who solder them up with the rubber washers still in!! proper grinds my bones when they do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler installed above the stairs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock