Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler cutting off and not modulating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have installed a Worcester Greenstar 8000 35kw system boiler
Instead of the boiler modulating it gets to 69 degrees and cuts off drops down to 50 degrees then kicks in again this cycle happens every 5 mins like clockwork
I thought it may be air but I put got water only on I have an unvented cylinder next to the boiler so it's a small circuit and boiler gets straight up to 72 degrees and cuts off again this cycle is every 5 mins surely if it's a modulating boiler the hot water even on a small circuit should just modulate at about 70 degrees and stay on until the cylinder stat is up to temperature? Anyone else experienced this or got any ideas what's causing it?

This is a re occuring theme with gas fired boilers on HW only. If mine, I would check that the balancing valve (if fitted) on the cylinder coil return is fully open, shut the cylinder zone valve, keep draining off hot water until it runs cold, refire the boiler on HW only, observe boiler temp/modulation and cylinder temperature, when cycling starts the coil isn't able to absorb the output from your fully modulated boiler and I'm afraid you can't do much about it except to then run the CH&HW together.

This is a re occuring theme with gas fired boilers on HW only. If mine, I would check that the balancing valve (if fitted) on the cylinder coil return is fully open, shut the cylinder zone valve, keep draining off hot water until it runs cold, refire the boiler on HW only, observe boiler temp/modulation and cylinder temperature, when cycling starts the coil isn't able to absorb the output from your fully modulated boiler and I'm afraid you can't do much about it except to then run the CH&HW together.
I've had the balancing valve on fully open but it also does this with both H/W and Heating on together and Heating on it's own it just doesn't seem to stay lit for more than 5 mins at a time

The minimum output of your boiler is 5.5kw so if the boiler is in fact modulating properly, it means that your total heating demand is < 5.5kw, this would be normal enough with a fully heated house and only one zone on but if all zones on with a cold/cool house the heating load should be well in excess of this so no cycling.

The minimum output of your boiler is 5.5kw so if the boiler is in fact modulating properly, it means that your total heating demand is < 5.5kw, this would be normal enough with a fully heated house and only one zone on but if all zones on with a cold/cool house the heating load should be well in excess of this so no cycling.
So what are you saying? The boiler surely shouldn't cut off every 5 mins it's doesn't stay on long enough to get the heat round the rads
I installed another of these boilers with a cylinder next to it and it's modulates lovely at a constant 70 degrees without ever cutting out

Are you currently using this boiler only with a DHW circuit?

I think that your issue probably relates to the system installation. The boiler is firing up and cutting out after 5 minutes because the return temp is too high, driving the flow temperature to cut out.

Look at the bypass arrangement and settings.

Is this a new boiler on an existing installed system, or a complete new installation?

I think its the one on the rads that's cycling so return temps shouldn't be a problem if demand is > 5.5kw, cycling on/off every 5 minutes would suggest a heating load of ~ 3 kw, very unlikely.

It's a new boiler
I think he/she is only running it on DHW - hence the reference to a small circuit - that is really a large thermal circuit, but small in length
Its a new boiler which it's on a large property mainly old pipework but main primary run is new 28mm pipe
The boilers being used for both hot water and Heating there was a few radiators not getting hot after lots of messing realised boiler was cutting out
Status code on boiler suggests it's cutting out because the flow is too hot
I also tried hot water only to see if that would run without cutting out and to see if it was just when the heating was on but it does the same for hit water also
Worcester have said even on hot water on it's own it shouldn't cut off that quick and boiler should modulate
I wanted to eliminate anything else other than faulty stats in boiler just in case it's a system fault and then getting charged for calling them out
[automerge]1607378649[/automerge]
It's a new boiler
I think he/she is only running it on DHW - hence the reference to a small circuit - that is really a large thermal circuit, but small in length
Its a new boiler which it's on a large property mainly old pipework but main primary run is new 28mm pipe
The boilers being used for both hot water and Heating there was a few radiators not getting hot after lots of messing realised boiler was cutting out
Status code on boiler suggests it's cutting out because the flow is too hot
I also tried hot water only to see if that would run without cutting out and to see if it was just when the heating was on but it does the same for hit water also
Worcester have said even on hot water on it's own it shouldn't cut off that quick and boiler should modulate
I wanted to eliminate anything else other than faulty stats in boiler just in case it's a system fault and then getting charged for calling them out

It depends on HW coil size, if a rapid recovery cylinder coil then should be OK even with cylinder up to 60C as long as boiler at 70C but to rule it out completely I would run off the hot water as even the most basic coil will absorb ~ 8kw and if the boiler still cycles then you have a starting point IMO. Presume magnetic filter installed and a clean Hx even though its a new boiler.

Last edited:
Set the boiler only to drive the DHW circuit. Ensure that the flow and return are clear of any restrictions - if the problem persists, call out Worcester Bosch, but make sure that the system is completely cold when they arrive. They would need to be there at least an hour and a half to prove it is not the boiler.

My view is that the issue is within the system restricting the return - not the boiler. Which I guess you do, hence the reluctance to call out Worcester Bosch. You will have measured the boiler return temperature and the DHW cylinder return temperature - if they are not nearly identical - the issue is unlikely to be the boiler.

The Greenstar 8000 courses are well worth attending - the 90 minute online course is free, the one day attended is also free if recommended by your local rep or £25 if you apply direct.

The attended course works through the detail of the boiler logic sequence and more specifically the behaviour of the boiler on high or very low return temperatures

Last edited:
What's happening to the return temperature measured at the boiler while the cycling is occuring? How long after the flow temperature starts to rise does it take for the return temperature to start rising?

Interpreting that status code may tell a lot.
If the boiler is modulating to 5.5 kw then even a flowrate of 4 LPM will give a deltaT of 20C so if the boiler is cutting out at 75C (SP+5) then the return would have to reach 55C, very unlikely, at least with a cold HW cylinder but quite possible on CH, if in fact the flowrate is that low. Boiler may not be modulating?.

Could be low flowrate but as the boiler fires up at ~ 70% output then to avoid cut out before modulation the flowrate would have to be, theoretically, 18 LPM to maintain a 20C deltaT.
[automerge]1607437474[/automerge]
This is probably the fault code displayed but possibly may be displayed every time the boiler cycles off as the flow temperature will be 5C higher to switch off the boiler.

"204 O Current prim. water temp. higher than set val. The actual boiler water temperature is higher than the target boiler water temperature. The boiler is switched off. "

Last edited:

Reply to Boiler cutting off and not modulating in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock