Search the forum,

Discuss Best type of TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonfog

Hi,

I'm going change some radiator valves for a client and want to replace them with TRV's. He isn't keen and views TRV's as been unreliable. I've never had a problem with them and have always fitted Drayton or Pegler valves.
What is the best and most reliable valves on the market?

Thanks

He isn't keen and views TRV's as been unreliable. I've never had a problem with them and have always fitted Drayton or Pegler valves. What is the best and most reliable valves on the market?
There's not much to choose between the top brands - Danfoss, Drayton and Honeywell. But avoid those with wax sensors, they respond to slowly to temperature changes.

What are you clients grounds for thinking they are unreliable - personal experience or what he has been told? The problems could have been due to a lack of balancing or incorrect balancing.

Radiators with TRVs fitted still need balancing, in fact more so, despite what some "experts" say.

Read [DLMURL="http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/RT112ThermostaticRadiatorValve.aspx"]Drayton TRV Commissioning Guide[/DLMURL] and How to balance a CH system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally recommend Drayton's to my customers, no particular reason just like them, the TRV4's are a nice valve but depends on budget etc

I've fitted Drayton TRV4 and like them myself.
His reason for disliking them is he had a large property with them in years ago and the pins would regularly stick. He wants as low as
maintenance as possible.

I've fitted Drayton TRV4 and like them myself.
His reason for disliking them is he had a large property with them in years ago and the pins would regularly stick. He wants as low a maintenance as possible.
Cheap ones do tend to stick. They can also stick if left in the same position all the time, particularly in the summer. Set them to Max when the heating goes off and reset to normal position when it goes back on.

Just stick with a good brand and you should be fine, good modern valves with correct flushing and you will not have problems.

The main problems i find with TRV's is you need to explain to the customer how they work,ie. control room temp and not rad temp. Some of the companies i have worked for never fully explain controls to the customer and that can cause unwanted call backs with complaints like "the radiator gets warm then goes cold, but others are still warm? "

Aye, and the classic is...

"The heating's on. This rad's cold, so I must be cold. It's all gone horribly wrong and it's all your fault. I want my money back plus some recompense!"

Croppie gets the persuader out of the van.

i like danfoss myself.fit alot of drayton and do like them but was on one job where they were only a few years old and they were very stiff

Danfoss ras-c's or d's if they can afford them. The only true bi directional trv's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best type of TRV? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock