Discuss Baxi 80e Water off / Boiler Off. Boiler back on & re-pressurised. Now triggering PRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NAP22

Baxi Combi Boiler 80e
I had a local handyman round to fit some new taps while I was out at work. He did the standard - turn the water off and turned the boiler off.
I came home to find my boiler pressure at over 3.0 bar, and the overflow pipe at the side of my house dripping water.

When I spoke to the guy he said that when he'd switched the boiler back on, he'd notice that the pressure looked a bit 'low' and then filled the system up to 2.5 bar.
When I have had a boiler repairman round in the past, he has always set the 'resting' pressure at 1.0 bar. (Last time I had a fix/service was Nov 2012 and system has been working fine since then).

I took the boiler front off yesterday lunchtime and pulled the red PRV until the gauge showed 1.0 bar. By the time I came home, the pressure was back up to over 3.0 bar (& trickling overflow pipe).
I repeated releasing the pressure down to 1.0 bar, but this morning it's back up to over 3.0 bar again.

I've checked the filling loop tap and it appears fully closed. Although I'd best admit that I always keep the loop attached... (slaps wrist)

Any ideas?!

I've read that once the PRV is triggered they're 'never quite the same again'.

Re: Baxi 80e Water off / Boiler Off. Boiler back on & re-pressurised. Now triggering

Water must be getting into the system some how. The only feasible route is via the filling loop. I think that the handy man has obviously been tampering with it and the valve is still partially on. Disconnect the flexible hose and cap the valve ends. Keep your system pressure to 1 bar. Your PRV can be problematic once activated as the seating does not always return back properly. Cross fingers that this is OK. Please don't look any further than this as you are getting close to gas work if further investigation is required, Leave that to a GAS SAFE registered engineer.

Re: Baxi 80e Water off / Boiler Off. Boiler back on & re-pressurised. Now triggering

Water must be getting into the system some how. The only feasible route is via the filling loop. I think that the handy man has obviously been tampering with it and the valve is still partially on. Disconnect the flexible hose and cap the valve ends. Keep your system pressure to 1 bar. Your PRV can be problematic once activated as the seating does not always return back properly. Cross fingers that this is OK. Please don't look any further than this as you are getting close to gas work if further investigation is required, Leave that to a GAS SAFE registered engineer.

This includes taking the case off.

That was quick! Thanks so much for your advice.
I'll check the filling loop when I get home and remove it, so at least I can rule that out as letting water into the system.
Other than that, if the pressure stays high, I'll be calling in an expert!

We don't hang about!

Word of advice, have a bucket close to hand when you take the loop off, just in case!

Update:
Just so you don't lie awake at night wondering what it was ;)
Turns out the isolating valve with the handle was faulty (ball inside wasn't turning fully shut) - which is not good when you keep the filling loop attached...

Which is one of the reasons it shouldn't be left attached. :)

Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

Pleased you got it sorted.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know what your problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi 80e Water off / Boiler Off. Boiler back on & re-pressurised. Now triggering PRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back