Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Bathroom sink waste procedure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

So during lockdown my bathroom sink waste has rusted through. Managed to get a replacement from B&Q along with a tub of plumber's mait (I'm not a plumber but decided to have a go!) . Watched a few videos on youtube and managed to fit the replacement. However, there was a small leak despite the putty so I gave it another tighten and it's slightly worse! I've sinnce seen that the solution is to use some PTFE tape so I will try that.

Is this the correct procedure?

A washer on the waste
Waste inserted then the putty around the bottom
tape on the threads where the nut will be
Washer and nut last?

Thanks.

So during lockdown my bathroom sink waste has rusted through. Managed to get a replacement from B&Q along with a tub of plumber's mait (I'm not a plumber but decided to have a go!) . Watched a few videos on youtube and managed to fit the replacement. However, there was a small leak despite the putty so I gave it another tighten and it's slightly worse! I've sinnce seen that the solution is to use some PTFE tape so I will try that.

Is this the correct procedure?

A washer on the waste
Waste inserted then the putty around the bottom
tape on the threads where the nut will be
Washer and nut last?

Thanks.
everybody has been taught differently and has their own favourite process - mine is throw away the rubber seal under the waste unit - apply plenty silicone to where waste faces on to basin - such into place - sausage of plumbers mait underneath- forced up into space between waste unit and basin -1 inch and a quarter polywasher then do up big nut underneath - very rarely have a problem

Reply to Bathroom sink waste procedure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock