Discuss Are us powertool junkies any quicker than the old boys? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Although not as bad as Billy I myself am a powertool maniac and have to have all my expensive toys around me to do every single job.

I was doing a bathroom for a semi retired joiner who manages quite happily with only the most basic joinery tools and we even joked about the fact that by the time I've got all my toys out he would have opened his toobag and had the job done by the time I've finished unloading my gagets.

I mean I was helping my dad put his new hardwood door on the other week and you couldn't hardly move for kit everywhere...... Fein, router, SDS, impact driver, 10.8 drill driver, combi dril, circular saw, electric plane and god knows what else!

My te60 smashes through the wall faster than my granddads black n decker . I can snort through 18mm ply faster than any handsaw and slotted heads eeeeerr . Drive A 125mm number 6 faster than any old Yankee could.

I was trying to explain to my customer why an impact driver was better than a standard combi drill and to be honest I was struggling. I mean they are really noisy things and are they really any quicker...I suppose they are lighter and easier in your hand.

They make and break contact lots so have a higher frictional contact.. Can't remember the physics but it's pretty much same as abs. Once you skidd your a goner, but pulse the friction and it's all good. Think it's to do with friction coefficients and acceleration

I can happily work without the powertools bar a drill tbh

just the others speed up those tasks and gives me more time to do the other stuff.

also i suppose now as we can work faster with powertools, we get given a shorter amount if time.

i was recently told that 20 years ago the guy was given half a day just to knock out for a flue!
can't imagine being given anywhere near that amount of time nowdays

i was recently told that 20 years ago the guy was given half a day just to knock out for a flue!
can't imagine being given anywhere near that amount of time nowdays

Yea I can, 3ft thick wet hamstone/cob wall!!

Yea I can, 3ft thick wet hamstone/cob wall!!

Haha that i understand!
had to core through a 4ft kentish ragstone and flint wall
was there all day and had two ballsed bits!

But this was on double skinned brick!!

I dont really use impacts much tbh and strangley ive got 4. cant see the point unless building timber studwork type stuff.

i think some tools can speed you up and make your work better, but then it takes the ingenuity out of some tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are us powertool junkies any quicker than the old boys? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock