Discuss Advice on taking on a labourer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

leek

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The title pretty much sums it up, but A friend of mine has just retired young (ish) from the forces and is looking for ways to top up his income. He has got a job for 2 days a week using the skills he already has (something to do with planes!) but I was thinking he would be the ideal person to help me out when I'm busy on an ad hoc basis.

I guess what I'm most unsure of I what to offer to pay him. I would expect him basically to do labouring, maybe pick up materials and just generally help out. I think though he would be worth more than a labourer, he can do basic electrics, some straightforward plumbing, and has done tiling etc. More than anything I suppose I do trust him, and he is articulate and presentable so feel I could quite happily have him in a customers house without worrying every time he opened his mouth (had issues with this in the past, swear some of the guys I have had work with/for me had a few genes missing) so the big issue is what would be a fair day rate? We are south east based so expect things are a bit higher here, would £100 a day for labouring/non skilled work be insulting?

Thoughts would be great. Thanks all.

Very fair rate in my opinion....but then he seems to have a lot going for him ...regards Turnpin:biggrin:

Thanks Turpin, see your Essex so imagine rates here would be similar to you. Had a quick google to see what labourers would earn in the nearest towns and it seems to be £8/9 per hour so hopefully I'm not a million miles out. It's that balance of trying to keep down what I have to pay out, yet being fair and not insulting.

That's way more than I would pay for a labourer, around here it's £40/£60 for just labouring
You say he can tile etc, if you could leave him finishing off jobs while you are starting another, then he may be worth it
Are you talking cash in hand or on the books, big difference if you've got to stump up £200/£300 cash every week

Johnny, I reckon I could leave him, obviously will have to see how things go. I think round here labourers get a fair bit more than they do near you, however I'm just not sure how much more. Would def do it through the books which will mean I will have to get extra insurance so there will be costs there too.

Quite a lot to think about but I have been thinking about getting someone to help me for a while and just so few that I trust enough to just turn up and be decent human beings. I have a younger brother who is a plumber, and you would think in a ideal world he could work with me, but we just don't see eye to eye. Life is never straightforward eh?

The title pretty much sums it up, but A friend of mine has just retired young (ish) from the forces and is looking for ways to top up his income. He has got a job for 2 days a week using the skills he already has (something to do with planes!) but I was thinking he would be the ideal person to help me out when I'm busy on an ad hoc basis.

I guess what I'm most unsure of I what to offer to pay him. I would expect him basically to do labouring, maybe pick up materials and just generally help out. I think though he would be worth more than a labourer, he can do basic electrics, some straightforward plumbing, and has done tiling etc. More than anything I suppose I do trust him, and he is articulate and presentable so feel I could quite happily have him in a customers house without worrying every time he opened his mouth (had issues with this in the past, swear some of the guys I have had work with/for me had a few genes missing) so the big issue is what would be a fair day rate? We are south east based so expect things are a bit higher here, would £100 a day for labouring/non skilled work be insulting?

Thoughts would be great. Thanks all.
Before tax= fair
After tax = fairer
In the hand= excellent + make the effort of a cuppa tea from the cafe
That's a great rate mate..

You need to look at how much money he can make you. At the end of the day you dont take jobs on that pay little because you need to be paid for bothering and all the hastle of quotes, ordering, invoices, communication. Same for hiring, dont bother unless you can make money on top otherwise you will loose a friend. You have to teach him and manage him and unless you make more money than you did before you'l be regretting hiring him.

Ive been stuck with one guy who was too afraid to leave me alone and barely made money on me and that drove a wedge between us making me leave in the end. Now I work for a guy who lets me do boilers start to finish, hes laughing the amount of money he makes from me.

I would definitely, well worth it.. and as an experienced plumber.. you should be fair to yourself and try for two labourers at £50 a say each..

I'll work for you on £100 a day :D

Mee to.! And do a good job quite happily Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Looking at where your based mate, the commute may be a bit of a journey :)

I'm pretty sure of he can save me time, which is my biggest issue, I will be able to make more money, so by my logic he will be earning me money....does that make sense? I could pay him to do the silly bits that cost me time when I could be earning. It would be ad hoc though, so if I don't need the help I won't have him.

Not sure I could cope with two of them! £50 a day sounds so low, is that what they are earning where you are? Like I say although this guy is unqualified for my kind of work he is pretty handy generally, so thought he would be worth/expect more.

I would definitely, well worth it.. and as an experienced plumber.. you should be fair to yourself and try for two labourers at £50 a say each..

Thanks everyone for your input, it's good to have some differing perspectives. Over the years I have trained up a few apprentices over but it was when I was working for someone else so it was their money and time and not mine!

Interesting side thought though, the best apprentices I have had have all been over 40, and was chatting to someone else the other day who was saying the young ones coming through are just not reliable. Another plus to working with an older guy I guess.

Yeah..your'e right

Was thinking more of ID cheaply, although Archway is a total pain to get to from here. Had to do a job recently in Alexandra Palace and it seemed to take forever to get North!

That should say ID Chappy, not cheaply! Damn auto correct, gets me in all kinds of trouble.

Was thinking more of ID cheaply, although Archway is a total pain to get to from here. Had to do a job recently in Alexandra Palace and it seemed to take forever to get North!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on taking on a labourer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Back