Search the forum,

Discuss advertising your business in google or Yell.com in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej-ay

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Guys...just was thinking about going to advertise in google and Yell.com to get more jobs as i work for myself, but wanted other opinion before jumping into unfamiliar waters these experts know how to talk a good game..so please has anyone used google or Yell.com to boost their business please i'll appreciate all comments thanks:cheesy:

I was on yell.com for about 8 months and paying £100 per month for it and got a grand total of ....................zero phone calls

Yell.com are HOUNDING me at the moment. I've tried being polite, tried ignoring them. They still phone me all the time. I don't want to waste my money. As for Google. I here if you have the budget then Google is pretty effective. I have no idea as don't use either.

had a free listing on yell once and got a few calls from it so signed up for a paid ad not one call a complete waste of money

Yell .com suck, they have got 0 leads for me. google will not try to sell you anything, it will be company who will get you on the first page of your search criteria. Set up your own google Adwords account is dead easy and you control the amount you spend.

same with yell,

however, dont waste your money on Google adword,

If you spend a few week or a few hundred pounds, experts will SEO your website and it will be number one on google.

I get most my business through Google, I am number 1 for certain key phrases and I get 4-5 calls a day at peak times.

Google adwords cost around £1 per click to be at the top, this means every tom dick and harry looking to sell you something is costing you a pound every time they call you as well as wasting your time.

I wasted £100 before I realised.

loads of clicks, No calls.

I disagree I used google Adwords when I need them, ok they are sort of expensive but if you buget 10 per day you will get work. I spent £400 in one month,but got £4000.00 worth of work. My site is seo'd but its expensive and not without it's pitfalls, you also need a good website. Adwords all so give you £50 to start so nothing really to lose.

Frankly I would SEO the website first before spending on AdWords. AdWords may bring additional business but it's like building a great big roof over a crappy house: get the walls up first and build on from there.

You can also register your business with Google for free, so that it shows on GoogleMaps. Unless you live in Croydon: there's already way too many of us in Croydong :-D

have to say you do get work through yell.com, but only if you have a heavy weight listing,
they give you a special number which links to your mobile so they can track all the calls you get from that advert.
they also tell you how many times people click through from the yell.com advert to your website.

so it does generate phone calls it just depends on wether the same money would be better spent elsewhere

yellow pages is a waste of time.

I disagree I used google Adwords when I need them, ok they are sort of expensive but if you buget 10 per day you will get work. I spent £400 in one month,but got £4000.00 worth of work. My site is seo'd but its expensive and not without it's pitfalls, you also need a good website. Adwords all so give you £50 to start so nothing really to lose.

where are you based, in chester where i live its over £5 a click for adwords to be number 1

same with yell,

however, dont waste your money on Google adword,

If you spend a few week or a few hundred pounds, experts will SEO your website and it will be number one on google.

I get most my business through Google, I am number 1 for certain key phrases and I get 4-5 calls a day at peak times.

Google adwords cost around £1 per click to be at the top, this means every tom dick and harry looking to sell you something is costing you a pound every time they call you as well as wasting your time.

I wasted £100 before I realised.

loads of clicks, No calls.

5 calls a day???!!! Where you based jase?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?swvadn

I get a lot of work through yell.com, it costs me about £70 a month but I get a lot of calls and when asked people say I found you on yell. When I first started I spent a lot of money on yell and got zilch, yellow pages are a waste of space and Thomson keep trying to sell me the package I have with Yell and claim that they are the only ones doing it so I dont trust their sales pitch.
I think you have to dip your toe in the water to find out what works for you, at the moment I have Yell and Im doing ok out of that, next year might be a different story.

Hi,

You could try Google adsense. You put up a little ad box and it appears on sites which are similar in content to plumbing topics and when someone clicks on your ad you pay Google. You therefore pay for a number of clicks...hope this makes sense. It's good to experiemtn a little with your ad copy.

Hi,

You could try Google adsense. You put up a little ad box and it appears on sites which are similar in content to plumbing topics and when someone clicks on your ad you pay Google. You therefore pay for a number of clicks...hope this makes sense. It's good to experiemtn a little with your ad copy.

I have thought about this, but the problem is that not many of the people who are looking up plumbing problems will actually call a plumber, they will usually do it themselves unless they find out it is better to get a plumber in.

I used to advertise in the free paper but didnt really get anything. A lot of local guys advertise there week in week out so it must be working for some folk.

Just wanting to see other peoples thoughts on advertising in Yellow Pages? I got quoted a rather upsetting £3800 for a 1/4 page colour advert the other week. The woman did show me the statistics for calls to a few other advertisers in my section (they give you a special number that they log calls on) and the results looked good for one of them. But how do you know if they arent fake calls. Spammers. etc

I just don't know anyone who uses yellow pages anymore? (the woman said the over 50s do..) I was thinking yell.com on a month by month basis might be a lot better for my health.. lol

£400 per month if I didn't get any work out of it would really smart..!

Does anyone use check a trade? Painter and decorator friend of mine swears by em. Gets loads of work from people who found him on check a trade

Does anyone use check a trade? Painter and decorator friend of mine swears by em. Gets loads of work from people who found him on check a trade

i tried my builder last year i did get work from it but then they changed it from paying 5% of the jobs you got (which i dident mind as i just added it on the bill) to paying for leads which i ended up spending more than i made. i might give it another look at soon see if its any better now.

dave

I'd avoid Yell.com but always go for your own website, along with Google Places (which is free) so that you appear in your area wen people search.

You have to remember that the fact is when people want something and they search the net for it, they search Google, not Yell or anything else. And if something comes up in Google, it'll get clicked on. Then it's over to you and your website to sell yourself to that visitor to get them to call you up to find out more.

But I'd avoid Yell.com - it doesn't rank for much these days compared to what it used to. And their charges are unwarranted they never know how well you will do but always claim you will do well.

hey there,
seems like everyones in agreement really but, without sounding bitter avoid yell at all costs in my opinion, I got a full package with them all the bells and whistles, and it gave me my worst years trading, got a couple of good quality customers out of it but even with their repeat business, the ad didnt pay itself off... on the other hand if you like being called 10 times a day by other advertisers crack on :smartass2: ....sorry that was a rant wasnt it! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

I've recently joined checkatrade. It's an annual fee of £499 plus VAT for online or extra for entry into their printed directory. I've opted for just online and so far it's going well. I'm getting two or three calls a week after 6 weeks of membership and they are getting more frequent. The customers like it because they can see your rating and almost feel like it is a personal recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advertising your business in google or Yell.com in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and the old cast iron radiators need a refresh, and i'm going to fit some new bleed valves amongst other things. The female thread in most of the rads...
Replies
Views
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
H
Hello everyone , just see if anyone has any advice on the best places and ways to advertise my little part time private business I’m starting in gas and heating . I work for a company full time , but would like to have a few jobs every now and then as well privately , but struggling to get...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an elderly neighbour getting quotes who has asked for my help and opinion, I don't really have a good one as it is not my area of expertise but I am trying to help. The quotes are all similar prices but She seemed to like one person and quote more than the others and I noticed that...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock