Discuss Advantages of a S plan over a Y plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

A very basic question for all you experienced plumbers, but I am curious, how beneficial would it be to change a system from a Y plan system to a S plan system?

Thanks

Paul

If you already have a Y plan fitted leave it as it is. The advantages are mainly on fitting.

Thanks for the reply tamz, would there be any reason to change,I have heard that it is easier to diagnose faults in a S plan but surely there must be some more benefits?

Are S plans better for larger houses?

paul

As Tamz said easier for install and easier for multi zoning, as you say larger houses. I always prefer S to Y, but thats just me.

It can be slightly more difficult to diagnose Y plan problems for those not familiar with them. In reality you learn and they are no more difficult than anything else.
Most problems with Y plans come from not understanding how they should be wired.
Y plans are only suitable for small to medium sized systems of up to around 20kw for a 22mm and 28kw for an 1" valve. Above that you really need an S plan.
When fitting an unvented cylinder to a system an S plan is better as you will still need a 2 port even if you fit a divertor valve.
Generally the installation is not as neat looking on a Y plan because of the way the valve connects and the spacing.

One advantage of a Y plan is you don't ned a bypass as one side of the valve will always be open.

Agree with you tamz except that under building regs a Auto by pass is required whichever valve is fitted. Most gas boilers have them fitted internally but oil ones need them fitted externally to comply.

s plan loads better, more water can get through, lots of restriction on a Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advantages of a S plan over a Y plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Customer complains of Intermittent heating on Y plan with Stat satisfied. New boiler fitted last year (no permanent live required or fitted...
Replies
Views
have moved a pump by new boiler so could wire for pump overrun as no live in airing cupboard, but now I am worried about air ingress into the...
Replies
Views
I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just installed a Tado system with the Wireless Reciever and Two Smart Thermostats. Without getting into the weeds of Tado, I want to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock