Discuss 3 Port Valve Life Expectancy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Guys.

Been to see a customer today who has a 3port valve that is passing hot water through to the ch when on hot water only mode, this valve was only replaced 3 years ago. its a tower 3 port valve, (are tower any good?)

also its fitted so the valve is on its side. i.e its T shape is rotated 90 Degrees and fitted vertically, does that affect the life of the valve, i always fitted them so they were in the T position.

but either way 3 years seems very short for a valve.

there is probably no inhibitor in the system which gas furred up the valve seat causing it to pass

As said,system probably dirty

Thought you were going to ask about heads
When they came out ,they would last for years and years,then they made the head removable,so not need to drain and they lasted 8 to 10 years,then they made the syncron motors availible and now they can last 4 to 5 years

Keeps us in work

What I have noticed about the valves,is that I only use the ball type on bigger systems as have found the wedge shaped port closers seem to swell up and cause a restriction through the heating side

This can happen to the best of them, often due to a dirty system, try removing the head and with the system running, operate the valve with a pair of pliers, you may be able to knock the dirt out. Another thing to check is: if the pump is close to the valve, is it on max speed, reduce speed to medium speed if possible.
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 Port Valve Life Expectancy? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back