Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 28cdi swapping manual timer control for digital single channel - nightmare! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taylor.simonp

Hi, Hoping that someone can solve this very frustrating problem for me. The manual timer on our boiler got bashed and damaged. Needed to be replaced as the pon holding the control on had snapped so couldn't use the auto feature for timed heating. Looked up relevant part number, searched for it, but found the digital alternative for cheaper than the straight replacement. So, I went for the digital one after looking at the manual for installation instructions - a simple case of plugging a lead on the the PCB and off you go! Anyway, got the part, removed the manual timer by disconnecting from the terminal block inside, connected the new digital timer using the lead to the PCB as shown in the installation instructions. Magic. Not quite. The timer worked fine in that you could programme it and the red light came on when you put it on "on" of once or twice during a time when the timer was set to be active. Only problem is that it doesn't actually trigger the heating to come on, i.e. no red light next to the radiator icon, no red light showing the boiler is active next to the flame icon. Double checked connection but no joy. Have had to reverse back to the broken manual timer because at least you can manually start and stop the heating.
So, can anyone suggest what might be going wrong here? The part seems to functioning in that it fires up and works as described, the boiler works when you operate it manually and we have never had any problems with it, and it works with the old manual timer.
Any suggestions very gratefully received as this is frustrating the hell out of me!
Thanks,
Simon

Re: Worcester 28cdi swapping manual timer control for digital single channel - nightm

worcester unit ?

Re: Worcester 28cdi swapping manual timer control for digital single channel - nightm

Hi.

Please note that I am an amateur and NOT a qualified service engineer (if any qualified engineers read this and choke on their tea at my stupidity, please let me know) but, on an "at your own risk basis", hope the following helps.

I too swapped a digital clock for a broken mechanical one in a Worcester 28CDI and had a working clock but no firing of the central heating. I realise that this is too late for Simon (hope you're sorted out in the meantime) but for any one else in the same position, I followed a clue in the instructions for fitting a mechanical clock. These refer to "removing the link" before wiring in the clock. Researching the main installation instructions for the boiler, this turned out to be a link between the terminals marked "LS" and "LR" on the block used to connect the timer. I bridged these with a bit of old mains wire and bingo! It works!

Hi, I am trying to install the same digital timer from the old one and am having trouble finding ST5 on the elec panel. Also did you just bridge LS and LR using wire and the same screws that were in place before. Sorry to be a pain and it would be great if you could help :bucktooth:

is this link just liknking out the clock as a whole?? therefore no need for clock at all??

its resolved now,thanks for your post :17:

what did you do to resolve it?

I called worcester and they explained it. It was easier then I thought and made the link with normal mains wire. :svengo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester 28cdi swapping manual timer control for digital single channel - nightmare! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock