Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Will councils ever fit mixer taps? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm a council tenant and my bathroom basin is broken and needs replacing, it has standard pillar taps. Do you know if councils would ever replace it with a mixer tap one if I paid the difference? (I'm guessing no but it's worth a try).

How much more complicated and time consuming is it to change from a pillar tap sink to one with mixer taps, even the most basic?

And if I paid for it myself how much would it cost approximately?

After searching online lots of people seem to suggest it's a fairly simple job even if you just want to upgrade the taps (say after the council fitted a pillar tap sink) but searching this forum might suggest not, so I don't know. Thanks.

(Forum won't allow me to post links?)

Last edited:
If they replace like for like the basin will have two tap holes, one for hot one for cold.
If you wish a mono mixer it is usual to have a basin with just one tap hole, often in the centre. (So usually it requires a different basin)

As to whether they will accommodate your wishes- just ask them, no-one on here will be able to give you a definite answer.

If your property is run by a combi boiler so hot and cold are equal pressure, it would be easy for them and therefore yours is a more reasonable request.
If, however, you have a gravity system I doubt they would.

If they replace like for like the basin will have two tap holes, one for hot one for cold.
If you wish a mono mixer it is usual to have a basin with just one tap hole, often in the centre. (So usually it requires a different basin)

As to whether they will accommodate your wishes- just ask them, no-one on here will be able to give you a definite answer.

If your property is run by a combi boiler so hot and cold are equal pressure, it would be easy for them and therefore yours is a more reasonable request.
If, however, you have a gravity system I doubt they would.
Thanks. Yes it's a combi boiler. I asked because I thought someone here might know or know of it being done or how flexible a council can be.
Does anyone have any idea of the price? (Shame I can't post links because of examples I've found) Are bridge taps a solution? Cheapest of those seem about £50.

I would just ask them.

Yes a bridge mixer is a potential solution, but you would need to check the distance between your taps as this is not standard across all basin designs.
I believe there are some taps with cranked pillar unions that allow you to change the distance between the hot/cold connections to suit a wider variety of tap hole spacings.

Reply to Will councils ever fit mixer taps? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just replaced the old bathroom basin mono mixer taps, 2 tap heads, standard compression valve type, to a modern mono mixer single lever...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Hello, I need some advise, will greatly appreciate if someone can help. My mixer tap is leaking from base want to renew it. However the tap...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am trying to fit a replacement tap to a mini-sink that's built in to the top of a toilet. The original tap isn't made any more by the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have a kitchen mixer tap unit with older washer type inserts which has a dripping cold side. I have a pair of replacement ceramic inserts to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock