Search the forum,

Discuss Who can move a gas meter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidso

I have a gas meter in my kitchen wall cupboard. I'd like to have it moved as far up the wall as possible.

I reckon that the gas mains with its stopcock/emergency valve could stay in the same position as there seems to be some slack in the flexible metal hose which runs from the stopcock to the input of the meter.

1) In this case, what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

2) I reckon more slack could be gained from the flexible hose if the connection where it couples with the input of the gas meter (ie the regulator) could be turned about 90 degrees so that it faces the stopcock. In this case, what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

3) I reckon MUCH MORE slack could be gained by replacing the the flexible metal hose which runs from the gas stopcock to the input of the meter with a longer flexible metal hose, if one existed. Does one exist? In this case what kind of workman with what qualifications could move it up the wall?

and they get quite cross if they find out its been fiddled with :)

I get asked this by loads of customers because SGN ( which is scottish gas networks they own all our gas mains) charge £600 to move pipe and meter and folks automatically think they can take shortcuts by askin me , i wouldnt do it but if i did it would cost £800 lol

Are you all 100% that only Transco can move it for each of the three circumstances I've described?

Are you saying that a local boiler installer, when plumbing into the gas outlet of the meter, can't move the meter up the wall a couple of inches within the reach of the flexible hose?

Are you all 100% that only Transco can move it for each of the three circumstances I've described?

No, we're yanking your chain. OF COURSE WE'RE SERIOUS! We don't kid around with gas and you shouldn't consider it either.

Are you saying that a local boiler installer, when plumbing into the gas outlet of the meter, can't move the meter up the wall a couple of inches within the reach of the flexible hose?

That's precisely what we're saying. The 'flexible hose' as you call it, or anaconda as it's correctly called, must not be subjected to undue stress or kinks. It is not flexible. It is a corrugated steel tube and once installed is not designed to be moved too much.

But I get the feeling you're going to ignore all of this and try to get your plumber to shift it any way I do hope he's a responsible GSR and tells you no too. Or has he already and you want us to tell you "Yeah, go ahead, fill your boots big lad...."

Ain't gonna happen mate.

The problem youl have is that sometimes the gas main coming into the box below the ecv can be attached to the box with a union and slackening the union MUST NOT be done by anyone apart from transcontinental / sgn. Not all are like this . To be safe your better getting transco. In as if the plumber causes a disturbance in the main he won't have the equipment to fix it. Transco work with live gas daily as not like there's isolators in the street like water mains for each house. (But there are the odd isos).

No with gas suppliers consent usuall 1m is easy money. I can sell your installer approved fittings kit ?

The problem youl have is that sometimes the gas main coming into the box below the ecv can be attached to the box with a union and slackening the union MUST NOT be done by anyone apart from transcontinental / sgn. Not all are like this . To be safe your better getting transco. In as if the plumber causes a disturbance in the main he won't have the equipment to fix it. Transco work with live gas daily as not like there's isolators in the street like water mains for each house. (But there are the odd isos).

Live gas equipment ? Is that the patented ecv snatch o matic or the copyright bung kit?

In forums in various places - including this one - there doesn't not seem to be a consensus about who can move a meter. Some posters say anything after the ECV can be carried out by *** with YYY qualification, some say something about having a "ticket" or consent for the supplier and so on. And then some people, like you croppie, say absolutely not.

I just wanted to make sure, before, I pay £1700 to Transco to re-orientate the regulator 90 degrees on the top meter or swap the anaconda for a longer one (does one exist? - no one's answered me that yet) that there wasn't another qualified workman who could do it for less.

There's a citizens advice page online - it won't let me post a url (google meter & non-contestable and it's about halfway down) - which mentions that part of the work in moving a meter is "contestable" and can be carried out by a non-Transco person. This is the quote...

Does your supplier have to carry out the work?

Some parts of the work for moving a meter have to be done by your supplier. This is called non-contestable work. Other parts of work can usually be carried out by someone else, such as a registered electrician or gas engineer. This is called contestable work.

It is not contestable. It is simple.

It is Transco's property. Only they may work on it. The one exception is a GSR with a MET1 ticket but only then with transco's permission. I didn't mention that because not many people hold that qualification.

And no. You cannot get a longer anaconda.

It's not the first time CAB have got their facts wrong.

John your wrong. Sorry to challenge your wealth of knowledge but your miles off mate.

4b57fcfa7754d6796009b7889d5b1f30.jpg

I worked on the gas metering back office team at EON many many moons ago, the general consensus was that if the customer could show that the original meter installers had not thought it through and put the meter in a non-ideal position, then they would carry out the works for free.
If the customer wanted the meter moving so that a new kitchen could be fitted, or other change that the original installers could not foresee then the customer had to pay for it.
There were exceptional circumstances like when a meter needed to be moved to allow wheelchair access or a stairlift etc, but that is down to their discretion.
They did allow local gas men to carry out the work but had to approve it and be given proof of the engineers relevant quals, i.e. MET1.
My advice is to talk to your supplier who will either put you in touch with Transco or will liase with them on your behalf, if you don't go through them, the next time a meter reader comes he will be obliged to inform them of the meter changes and you and your gas engineer will be in bother.
When you do call your supplier, don't be content with speaking to the general customer adviser who answers the phone, insist that you talk to a member of the gas metering team as they will have the relevant knowledge and be able to answer your questions without 'putting you on hold' every 2 minutes while they ask someone else.
Good luck.

I spoke to Transco and they've said £1700 for their engineer to carry out the work. Possibly less depending on a survey by the engineer. (I'm guessing I'd have to dress up as his grandmother to warrant a discount)

People are saying "talk to your supplier"; my supplier is EON, should I be talking to them instead of transco?

Croppie you say:
"The one exception is a GSR with a MET1 ticket but only then with transco's permission. I didn't mention that because not many people hold that qualification."

I have found a MET1 engineer who is happy to do the job. He hasn't mentioned getting Transco's permission yet. Maybe he will but perhaps he is not up to date on the regulations. So my questions are:

1. who gets permission from Transco, me or him?
2. I've seen a copy of his MET1 certificates, how do I check they're legit?

I'm not sure if it matters who gets permission, when we did the HA ones they arranged permission for us to do kitchen contract, as they were the responsible person for the house, but not sure if I could have done it

It took me a while to see any problems with that install, then I noticed he'd missed a jubilee clip on the right hand connection.
Schoolboy error...

Looks like he's being a good boy and wearing his GS id card round his neck.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who can move a gas meter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock