Discuss Where can I find plumbing diagrams for a care home? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPC

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have been asked to quote a 15 bed care home full plumbing install in a new build. I am typically used to domestic installs (some large ones). Underfloor heating throughout so that is simple but I have no experience with this volume of hot water. I have linked 2 300L unvented cylinders on a large domestic property before but I would like to see some guidance for best practice installs of this nature, I assume hotel installs would be similar.

Would they generally be mains fed or tank fed and pumped to cope with the large demand? I would assume there could be 6/7 showers or baths running simultaneously.

the building is a single storey.

Thank you for any input.

Break tank and a booster set
2 boilers linked together
A large or two unvented cylinders

The ones we do are all wet room ensuites with one LST rad per bedroom and an ensuite rad if it's on 2 external walls

Tbh these things can go sideways fast with little experience might be best having a word with a commercial plumbing firm

Get it properly designed. You can open yourself yo being sued. You will need to check your liability and professional indemnity too. The system needs to be designed to circulate high enough temp to prevent leg one'll and then be mixed at appliance yo prevent scalding.

Surely it's not much different to a good domestic install. From what I can gather it's:
Boilers
Break tank and booster
Unvented Cylinders
Thermostatic mixing valves
Backflow prevention
Well insulated pipework
Legionella prevention in place

I have emailed a few local commercial plumbers and awaiting a response but it would be nice if I could do some research on best practice or typical system layouts. I've done ground source heat pumps in the past, if you read, understand and follow the instructions then you can't go wrong.

Surely it's not much different to a good domestic install. From what I can gather it's:
Boilers
Break tank and booster
Unvented Cylinders
Thermostatic mixing valves
Backflow prevention
Well insulated pipework
Legionella prevention in place

I have emailed a few local commercial plumbers and awaiting a response but it would be nice if I could do some research on best practice or typical system layouts. I've done ground source heat pumps in the past, if you read, understand and follow the instructions then you can't go wrong.

It's very different sorry to say you haven't said anything about secondary returns and you will need to be commercially reg for the boilers

a secondary return is a normal thing on domestic installs which I've done on numerous occasions. That doesn't really make me think I shouldn't be doing the install. I was initially thinking 2 boilers one for the heating and one for the hot water to keep me out of the commercial side. Am I barking up the wrong tree. . .

a secondary return is a normal thing on domestic installs which I've done on numerous occasions. That doesn't really make me think I shouldn't be doing the install. I was initially thinking 2 boilers one for the heating and one for the hot water to keep me out of the commercial side. Am I barking up the wrong tree. . .

I would think there would be more than a 70 kw load total

I would think there would be more than a 70 kw load total

Two options for hot water

Andrews water heater (commercial appliance)
2x 300l unvented water heaters around 50-60 kw for both which would take you close to the limit on there own

Well one 300l unvented cylinder coil is rated at around 25kw for a 30-40 min recovery time so two it starts getting a few kw doesn't it

Not yet, I was looking for some guidance documentation on the design, I'm also awaiting response from some local commercial guys to see if they will come on board with me. Obviously if the system is over 70kw then I would need to get someone involved regardless.

Megaflo 300l recovery time is around 50 minutes from cold with a 20kw boiler

Megaflo 300l recovery time is around 50 minutes from cold with a 20kw boiler

So two would be 40 kw but recovery time wouldn't be acceptable

What recovery time do you aim for and what volume is usually allowed per resident

What recovery time do you aim for and what volume is usually allowed per resident

Under 30 mins maximum and you will find that in your plumbing design book but go top side can always have too much but can't get more if too little

I have done these before contact rinnai they will just do it for you ,
Thats what i use to do

I'll see if any of the local commercial guys get back to me first, if not then pricing a commercial course into the job is a fantastic idea. My only concern with it is I've been asked to do 2 commercial jobs in nearly 10 years of trading but another string to the bow can't hurt.

I'll see if any of the local commercial guys get back to me first, if not then pricing a commercial course into the job is a fantastic idea. My only concern with it is I've been asked to do 2 commercial jobs in nearly 10 years of trading but another string to the bow can't hurt.

Where you located ?

Dont do it again then ,
Just price all the cost into it so when you do the course you get paid for doing it .
Gotta be worth it to get the job and then you can also say 'DID YOU KNOW IM COMMERCIAL'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where can I find plumbing diagrams for a care home? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
Back