Discuss What would cause an immersion wire to burn out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I fitted a new cylinder and wired up an immersion before Christmas went back out this morning as her hot water had stopped working.

I thought it had just tripped out on the stat as they usually do but the wire from the thermostat to the element had burnt out completely.

Could it be a power surge? I would of thought that would of taken out the economy 7 programmer before that wire.

Could it be a loose connection on the element?

loose connection is the most likely the wire would be man enough to take a momentary power surge was it a new cable and was it tight on the terminal?

Yep loose connection somewhere, old wire?
it does need to be 2.5 though, I have seen loads of 1.5 .

It was the cable running from the thermostat to the live on the element and it burnt out on the element end. I'm just wondering if it wasn't connected properly to the factory made end.

Blimey , never seen that pal. Yep I would have said that was probably why, unusual though

It happens on electric showers as well, got to get a good tight connection.

Prob a loose connection but also a good idea to check the elements resistance is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What would cause an immersion wire to burn out? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock