Search the forum,

Discuss What is this gunk filled container in the loft? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We've just bought this house, and looking around the loft there is a large water container (clean) and a much smaller container next to it filled with mouldy looking gunk and a ball valve (?). This doesn't look good. But I have no idea whether it's in use or redundant and why it's gunked up like that?

Any advice?

That would be the heating system feed tank eg fills the radiators and boiler etc

That would be the heating system feed tank eg fills the radiators and boiler etc
ah ok, thanks I've just learnt something then. But I guess that indicates the state of the water running through the heating system then i.e. terrible.
It's probably not related but the boiler controller doesn't work separately for heat or water. It's either heat and water together or nothing. That might be a valve I guess, possibly ruined by the state of the water in it? lol

ah ok, thanks I've just learnt something then. But I guess that indicates the state of the water running through the heating system then i.e. terrible.
It's probably not related but the boiler controller doesn't work separately for heat or water. It's either heat and water together or nothing. That might be a valve I guess, possibly ruined by the state of the water in it? lol

Might be best to test the system for operation should work separately eg heating and hot water so might need investigation could be wiring fault or valve as you say

It’s open vented so they tend not to be the cleanest might be worth running some cleaner through the system and once a couple of days past drain the system and clean the tank at the same time and if any parts are bad eg valve then replace at this time and re dose with inhb when filling back up

The state of the water in the central heating header tank shouldn't be a cause for alarm! It's just silt in the bottom. that's been there years from dust coming down off the roof. Some of it is probably central heating inhibitor anyway. Just putting a cleaner thro' might throw up more trouble than it's worth. Give us more info on the other issue and we might be able to advise more comprehensively.

I don't know, it looks like more than silt? I've managed to attach a photo

The lack of control seems straight forward. If you turn the heating on only, the heating and water both go on. And same with the water, turning water on only just results in both water and central heating kicking in. They can't be separately controlled.

Attachments

• IMG_20231020_165321788.jpg
    IMG_20231020_165321788.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 13

Reply to What is this gunk filled container in the loft? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock