Search the forum,

Discuss what am I missing team, brain has gone to mush over this AGA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

right team, my own solid fuel converted to gas AGA has been playing up. warms upto about half normal temp and turns itself off, been working fine for 14 years, thermocouple and clean as and when needed.

So swapped t couple, cleaned all gas lines with airline, pilot burner cleaned and clear, linked out the down draught safety device to prove it isnt dropping out, finally swapped the gas valve last night as a last resort. No flame lift as far as I can see, flue draght ok about 0.025" wg so not massive, giving flame lift issue.

Any ideas, I have run out, even swept out the vitreous flue, my next idea is to scrabble onto the roof and check the flue outlet isnt rusted out and dropped in, it has an external twin lined flue. My only other thought is that I have missed an internal blockage over the ovens, so stripping that out again on sat.

Apart from that any ideas, no roast this weekend other wise!!!! might swap the pilot burner head for a new one, just in case.

You have covered about everything. I've just sorted out troublesome aga this week by fitting a new stainless pilot injector. Would just cut out at random times. I feel your pain, especially in your own place. How can such a simple system cause problems! Did you take out the whole flue stat t-couple interrupter into gas valve? had dodgy connections there.

thermo couple straight into gas valve to discount that one. new pilot assembly is winging its way to me next week from warm oil, to go with the replacement burner i got in november, there arent any old parts left to fail so I am thinking blockages or flue failure now. I hate going up ladders to look....

taking out the flue safety device was my last thought, I was sure that was the problem, till I found it had gone out again tonight..

Last edited by a moderator:
A smoke pellet with give you a clue about the flue before you get the ladders out.
I hate doing anything in my own house lol

A smoke pellet with give you a clue about the flue before you get the ladders out.
I hate doing anything in my own house lol

told you my brain had gone to mush, I have pull at the draft divertor, but just seen none from the oven outlet, so that might be a blockage I missed!! I hate this aga more than any I have yet come across/

Obviously i'm joking but i once said that to an ex wife. Phone somebody i'm too busy.......so she did and paid him £200 or whatever it was from my stash.
I deducted it from her housekeeping money the next week and got to sleep on the sofa for free lol

Sounds like it is choking itself out anyway. Best get a RGI in to have a look lol

you seem to be confusing me with Ray :) however, that seems like a good idea, if he dont cure it I wouldnt need to pay lol

My new baby and i get to play with axes :)
IMAG0747.jpg

Obviously i'm joking but i once said that to an ex wife. Phone somebody i'm too busy.......so she did and paid him £200 or whatever it was from my stash.
I deducted it from her housekeeping money the next week and got to sleep on the sofa for free lol

just pmsl at that one, cheered me up no end :)

I have to put up with the Mrs saying why don't you get an expert in to get it going, and youngest daughter who refuses to move out, informing me as soon as it goes out again!!!!!!!! ffs

Being the property magnet of North Devon thought you would have bought a new Aga by now ! :sifone:

I'd never have a new one, aren't built like the old ones, never last. But update, been on the net, loads of other folk suffered the same issue, cant think why I havent come across it before.

So hoovered the flue through from bottom, whipped off the top of the stack and sucked out all the mush and sealed it back on.
Relit and bugger me.............. it went out an hour later, so took the loop off the thermocouple interupter and put the tcouple directly onto the gas valve to totally disprove any issues there, and it went out.

So back to the gas valve reset max n min settings, and turned on the hob n boiler and watched the min setting drop, so adjusted it upto to 4 mb with the world running, which was surprising as the input pressure was still 21mb at the gas valve. lit it, and it has risen in temp to almost get to normal at present, so the saga continues. I suspect it is a flue/downdraft issue as the smoke bombs worked a treat but...... I did get some down draught at one point, so have left a window open all day to alleviate that. Cant think of anything else to do now, apart from using a don thermocouple in future, any one know where to get an 1800mm one from?

have you tested the voltage on T/Couple (m-volts) Honeywell valve needs between 20 & 28 millivolts to keep it open

have you tested the voltage on T/Couple (m-volts) Honeywell valve needs between 20 & 28 millivolts to keep it open

brand new one, mrs just came home and shut the window, out it went.......... presuming its a flue issue still. next stop get it swept down its whole length but it draws .02 to .04 wg ok as per spec. it can get higher so a cleaner flue might reduce the updraught if the x sec area in it is larger.

Just a thought. Got this wind from the east at the moment, that could be effecting it. But im sure its done that before in last 14 years!lol. I moved an aga from one side of kitchen to the other and it wouldn't stay on with air vent and flue positions changed.

currently I have managed to keep it running at working temp on min rate, it doesnt like max rate at present, even more puzzled, or could it be the flue is now hot and drawing better, had to close the window to reduce the flue draught now as well !!!

Maybe faulty gas valve, surge in gas when on high pulling pilot away from T/C

gas valve is 48 hours old!! but have proved the down draught safety device is knackered, new one in post, but it still dops out as it gets up to working temp, so a newer pilot assembly going in as well. max min pressures all set correctly, flue does draw ok, bit too ok at times but this has never been an issue before so going back to pilot, as i used a bes one, will be using a don one next week......... nice little saga for an aga. I googled it and it seems to be one of those issues that crops up regularly, glad its not a customers one :)

I used to live on exmoor, sometimes when the wind is wrong could not get me stove to stay alight! It was warmer in my land rover. :mad2:

picked up a nail in my landy tyre to make my weekend even more memorable!!!!

That's bad luck. Still least you have got nice views!
Plus steam trains.

bloody thing is alight, another replacement pilot, draught diverter safety device and renwed the interlock cable which had broken down..................... will go and look again in the morning but have reached working temp for the first time in weeks ............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what am I missing team, brain has gone to mush over this AGA in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock