Search the forum,

Discuss want to install a new radiator in single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Margi

Hi all
I need some advice. Ever since I changed one of the radiators in master bedroom (middle of single pipe system) the others do not work that well. I have to keep balancing still some of the radiators are not heating well.
I want to change the two other radiators in living room (very old ones) to new and keep the single pipe system. It is a 2 bed flat with 6 radiators.
Which radiators are better for single pipe system? and what do I need to consider before doing this? I would not personally do it but most of people I have spoken to do not know much about single pipe system hence the recent radiator in the bedroom not fitted properly.
Thanks

dont mess with one pipe systems sorry but your asking for trouble it you start changing things

Can you explain why please SC?

they tend to not work like above when they get messed with and you can never get them working right if you do , and there sludge traps

If you change any rad on a one pipe, make sure it is identical in length, as if you have to alter pipe tails to suit shorter or longer rad you will have trouble getting things working properly
if you do alter length of rad, you will have to expose the "ring main" and cut in tees so that feed to rad valves are vertical from the main up into the valve without any change in direction
On these systems the heating water is pumped around the ring main (one single pipe travelling around the property) and heat is rises up the feed pipes into the rads, rather than getting pumped through like a standard system

http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/images/Onepipe.jpg
If the above image is visible, you'll see the pumped water will take the path of least resistence, so won't get pumped through the rads, just relying on the laws of physics to allow heat to rise and cooler water to fall back into the ring main, which is why the feed pipes must be vertical to work prperly
Don't know how much sense that has made to anyone,but it makes perfect sense to me
No doubt someone else will be along to explain it in half the words and make 3 times as much sense

Last edited:
Also if you increase the size of a rid at the start or in the middle of the loop, you will reduce the heat output from the rest of the loop so should really increase them to compensate.

(or just convert it to a 2 pipe and it will never be a problem again)

or just rebalance the system as they did when it first went in, s'not rocket science you know :)

Depends if rad is different size to the one it replaced, also if rad valves have been replaced with modern TRV's

Thank you for all the replies-after rebalancing the system it seems ok except for the one radiator in the bathroom-pain!!
Would really love to convert the system to two pipe if it is under ÂŁ1000 for a 2 bed flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to want to install a new radiator in single pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been great particularly in the extended part with only a few of the original radiators getting very hot. We replaced the downstairs radiators with UFH...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock