Discuss Vans vans vans ...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely job Shaun. Looks like a cosy office, rather than a van, but why the cheap wood used?

Lovely job Shaun. Looks like a cosy office, rather than a van, but why the cheap wood used?

Managed to used the old racking off the old van it's lasted 8 years so far And at most just need to replace the bottom and upstands if they go

Managed to used the old racking off the old van it's lasted 8 years so far And at most just need to replace the bottom and upstands if they go

That makes sense. Costs a fair bit for new timber, and to no advantage. I am thinking of just buying some of the already made ply kits and racks, rather than the cost of sheets of plywood, which wouldn't be much cheaper.

That makes sense. Costs a fair bit for new timber, and to no advantage. I am thinking of just buying some of the already made ply kits and racks, rather than the cost of sheets of plywood, which wouldn't be much cheaper.

If you want some like just bins go pre built but tend to find the shelves not very deep

IMG_2173.JPG

I got ply cut to the size I wanted at the local b&q and screwed it together

I'm too tight to change my van, 10 years i've had it and I bought it for ÂŁ3600 inc VAT in Jan 07

I figure a new van isn't going to make me a better plumber is it? Theres no rust on it.

I want 5 more years out of it.

What van have you got?

Just an 05 Combo, no power and sluggish as hell but cheap to run.

Fair play, iff it ain't broke.you don't make money buying vans.

I'm too tight to change my van, 10 years i've had it and I bought it for ÂŁ3600 inc VAT in Jan 07

I figure a new van isn't going to make me a better plumber is it? Theres no rust on it.

I want 5 more years out of it.
Everytime I big my old van up I'm more or less imediatley punished, I had total brake failure on Thursday. I went into town in the morning for bits and was on my way to work when at the traffic lights I was stationary with my handbrake on and was messing with my pedels to pass time. I decided to press my brake with my left foot and it felt really weird as the pedel went right down to the carpet. I thought wft that doesnt feel right so I went back to my right foot and there was no resistance and then a red warning light came on the dash and the traffic light went to green so I crept fowards and like an idiot made the decision to drive half a mile through taffic to Diesel Daves thank god it was near. Very stressful driving with only handbrake but was only doing 10 mph.

When I got there my van was doing a massive oilly wee all over the car park. The rear brake cylinder had failed. Only ÂŁ72.00 to fix though, got it back at 2:30pm.

That can happen to any van, what a result getting it fixed that cheap/quickly.

Can you get 3m length of pipe in transit custom?
Looked at one on the weekend but didnt pay any attention to the through loading hatch

Peugeot Partner. 1.9 diesel, no turbo. Struggles up hills (that's my favourite feature). 45-55mpg. Blind spots all over the place, with thick A posts, but typical for modern vehicles. Fairly simple mechanically, and has been reasonably reliable in general, but getting to the age where I have to keep replacing anything made from rubber and stuff like alternator, springs, CV boots. Just waiting for the starter to go. That said, for 116,000 miles, it's pretty good apart from gearbox synchro on most gears.

Too small a load space for a 50 gallon Polytank coffin tank.

Not the most comfortable vehicle to drive though, although the seats are quite good. My old car (Citroen 2CV6) was warm below and draughty at top so you always had fresh air on your face, this van isn't, as the air vents all give the same temperature air. The high beam and low beam is controlled by pulling the lighting stick towards you, but the same action toggles between the two, which can be confusing (but, on sidelights, the same action merely flashes the high beam). The wiper stick is equally complex. It is also obsessed with saving electricity, going into 'eco mode' for no apparent reason. Eco mode means you can't use the interior light, or listen to the radio at lunchtime. The only way to get out of eco mode is to start the engine briefly, which doesn't seem very eco.

Bodywork seems to last well, and I'm sure they will all give many years of irritating and quirky service.

EDIT. In fairness to my particular van, the coil spring did fail as I was reversing into my driveway.

Last edited:
The old Partner/Berlingo van was a decent workhorse. It could take a few 3 metre lengths of pipe diagonally inside from passenger footwell to rear corner. A handy wee van for getting through narrow gates and driveways

Mine has a cage thing so I can't get 3m lengths in it. I use a roof rack, or cut 1m off pipes, depending on the circumstances.

Anyone got any ideas for off cuts of copper eg under a m long (storage)

Short piece of soil pipe, closed off at one end and slide the bits in. I had one at one side of the old relay for pipe offcuts and one at the other with my benders in.
Same for me. But not for the bender;);)

Is it a pain as you have to angle it across the floor to get 3m?
You have to lift the flap on the hatch in the bulk head and it pushes under the passenger seat. Better off fitting a pipe tube mate, in my opinion.

I still cant decide between the Transit Custom limited and Trafic sport.
I prefer the Custom but everything I read talks about all the problems
I have looked at a few 50k miles trafics and vivaros to see how they wear and they dont seem to be lasting that well, but I guess they may have been abused.

2.2 and I get 435 to a tank on diesel. But I have got a pipe tube and ladders on top all the time.

Sorry for all the questions
Does the 2.2 have a DAB radio? Or is it only the 2.0
I have been looking at a 16 reg 2.2

Mine is a 16 reg limited. DAB, electric window Aircon. It is the range I.e limited/Base that deals with spec not engine size.

No I drive it like a priest , too old for being a boy racer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vans vans vans ...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I have a Grundfos SoloLift2 WC1 on a toilet and since a few months the impeller keeps getting stuck. I was quite happy to...
Replies
Views
Had a quote for a new boiler installation. Quote said... Power Flush require and install new boiler, ==== After the boiler was started, it was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock